Peirianneg Cyfathrebu Di-wifr a Microdonfeddau (MSc)
- Hyd: 1 flwyddyn
- Dull astudio: Amser llawn
Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.
Pam astudio’r cwrs hwn
Nod y radd hon yw cynhyrchu arbenigwyr ôl-raddedig gydag arbenigedd hanfodol mewn peirianneg electronig a microdon, a datblygu ymwybyddiaeth o’r gofod defnyddio sy’n tyfu ar gyfer y technolegau hyn.
This course aims to provide you with key, advanced level knowledge and skills that will allow you to succeed in the rapidly growing wireless and microwave communication industry. You will also develop research skills and other related abilities, enhancing your general engineering competency, employability, and providing you with an excellent platform for career development, whether that be within industry or academic research.
More specifically, the programme aims to:
- Develop expertise in new and evolving areas of microwave engineering including mobile communications and medical applications of microwaves.
- Focus on areas including advanced computer aided design (CAD), measurement and characterisation and communication systems engineering.
- Cover laboratory work and advanced engineering management alongside modules in radio frequency engineering, advanced fabrication and test, advanced communication systems and non-linear RF design and concepts.
- Provide you with expertise in the areas of micro and nano-technology and optoelectronics.
The distinctive features of this course include:
- The opportunity to learn in a research-led teaching institution, taught by staff in one of the highest ranked university units in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF), ranked 7th in the UK for research and 1st in the UK for the research impact.
- The opportunity to work in modern facilities and commensurate with a top-class research university.
- The participation of research-active staff in programme design and delivery.
- MSc teaching complemented by guest lectures given by industrial professionals.
- Formal accreditation by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).
Meini prawf derbyn
A lower second class honours degree in Electrical or Electronic Engineering,Communication Engineering, Communicaton Technology, Wireless Engineering or a similar field from a good UK university or an equivalent international degree qualification.
Entry to courses in Engineering will be subject to the University requirements for English language
Note: International students pursuing part-time programmes of study are not eligible for Tier 4 (General Student) visas and must have alternative leave to remain in the UK if they intend to study at the University in person.
Rhagor o wybodaeth am ofynion Iaith Saesneg.
Mae'n rhaid i ymgeiswyr sydd angen Fisa myfyriwr i astudio yn y DU gyflwyno cymhwyster iaith Saesneg derbyniol er mwyn bodloni gofynion UKVI (Fisâu a Mewnfudo y DU).
You are not required to complete a DBS (Disclosure Barring Service) check or provide a Certificate of Good Conduct to study this course.
If you are currently subject to any licence condition or monitoring restriction that could affect your ability to successfully complete your studies, you will be required to disclose your criminal record. Conditions include, but are not limited to:
- access to computers or devices that can store images
- use of internet and communication tools/devices
- freedom of movement, including the ability to travel to outside of the UK or to undertake a placement/studies outside of Cardiff University
- contact with people related to Cardiff University.
Strwythur y cwrs
The course is presented as a one-year full time Masters level programme, and is also available as a part-time scheme run over two years. The programme is presented in two stages: In Part 1 students follow two semesters of taught modules to the value of 120 credits. Part 2 consists of a Dissertation or research project module worth 60 credits.
Mae'r modiwlau a ddangosir yn esiampl o'r cwricwlwm arferol. Byddant yn cael eu hadolygu cyn blwyddyn academaidd 2022/23. Bydd y modiwlau terfynol yn cael eu cyhoeddi erbyn mis Medi 2022.
|Teitl modiwl||Côd modiwl||Credydau|
|Software Tools and Simulation||ENT672||20 credydau|
|RF Circuits Design and CAD||ENT691||10 credydau|
|Research Study||ENT693||20 credydau|
|Advanced Communication Systems||ENT706||10 credydau|
|HF and RF Engineering||ENT782||10 credydau|
|Advanced CAD, Fabrication and Test||ENT799||10 credydau|
|Microwave and Millimetre-Wave Integrated Circuit Design and Technology||ENT870||10 credydau|
|Micro- and Nano-engineering||ENT871||10 credydau|
|Dissertation (Electronic)||ENT615||60 credydau|
Mae'r Brifysgol wedi ymrwymo i ddarparu amrywiaeth eang o opsiynau modiwl lle’n bosibl. Ond byddwch yn ymwybodol er y byddwn yn gwneud pob ymdrech i gynnig dewis, gall hyn gael ei gyfyngu mewn rhai amgylchiadau. Y rheswm am hyn yw'r ffaith mai dim ond nifer cyfyngedig o leoedd sydd ar gael ar rai modiwlau, a gaiff eu dyrannu ar sail y cyntaf i'r felin. Mae'n ofynnol i fodiwlau eraill sicrhau isafswm nifer o fyfyrwyr cyn gallu eu cynnal, er mwyn gwneud yn siŵr y gellir cyflwyno addysg o ansawdd priodol. Gall modiwlau gael eu cyfyngu oherwydd gwrthdaro yn yr amserlen hefyd, ac er bod y Brifysgol yn ymdrechu i amharu cyn lleied â phosibl ar eich dewis, byddai'n syniad da i chi ofyn am gyngor gan yr Ysgol berthnasol am y dewisiadau modiwl sydd ar gael.
Dysgu ac asesu
Sut y caf fy addysgu?
A wide range of teaching styles are used to deliver the diverse material forming the curriculum of the programme. You will attend lectures and take part in lab and tutorial based study during the Autumn and Spring semesters. During the summer you will undertake an individual research project.
At the beginning of Stage 2, you will be allocated a project supervisor. Dissertation topics are normally chosen from a range of project titles proposed by academic staff in consultation with industrial partners, usually in areas of current research or industrial interest. You will also be encouraged to put forward your own project ideas.
Sut y caf fy asesu?
The course is assessed through examinations, written coursework, and a final individual project report.
Achievement of learning outcomes in the majority of modules is assessed by a combination of coursework assignments, plus University examinations set in January and May. Examinations count for 60%–70% of assessment in Stage 1 of the programme, depending on the options chosen, the remainder being largely project work and elements of coursework.
Sut y caf fy nghefnogi?
You will be allocated a personal tutor to assist you with both academic progress and pastoral support when required. For the dissertation stage, you will be allocated a supervisor in the relevant field of research, whom you should expect to meet with regularly.
You will receive written feedback for written coursework assignments and oral feedback for assessed presentations.
Pa sgiliau y byddaf yn eu hymarfer a’u datblygu?
On completing the course you will have developed key skills which can be applied to a variety of industrial and academic working environments. You will have gained learning skills including:
- Understanding of the application of Wireless and Microwave Communication Engineering to the design, implementation and management of systems that are able to collect, manipulate, interpret, synthesise, present and report data.
- The ability to select an appropriate IT-based system development tool for a given task. Examples of applicable tools include those deployed within current research into microwave and radio frequency systems, electro-magnetic applications, communication systems and software engineering.
- The ability to undertake detailed device level design and characterisation of communications system components based upon an in-depth understanding of the major issues surrounding architecture and structures.
- An appreciation of the stages involved in a the realisation of a key wireless microwave communications sub-system - including characterisation and measurement, modelling, computer aided design, optimisation, fabrication and test.
- An understanding of the hardware and software infrastructures used in the development of computer networks - including an appreciation of relevant industry standards and the use of current software tools associated with the widening role of internet-based communication.
- The ability to communicate your own ideas, research findings, underlying principles and theories effectively by oral, written and practical means.
- The ability to work effectively in a team and as an individual.
Ffioedd dysgu ar gyfer dechrau astudio yn 2022
Myfyrwyr o'r DU
Nid yw ffioedd ar gyfer mynediad 2022/23 ar gael eto
Myfyrwyr o'r UE, AEE a'r Swistir
Rydym yn aros am gadarnhad o'r ffioedd dysgu ar gyfer blwyddyn academaidd 2022/23.
Myfyrwyr o weddill y byd (rhyngwladol)
Rydym yn aros am gadarnhad o'r ffioedd dysgu ar gyfer blwyddyn academaidd 2022/23.
A fydd angen unrhyw gyfarpar penodol arnaf I astudio’r cwrs hwn?
No specific equipment is needed for this course.
Rydym wedi ein lleoli yn un o ddinasoedd mwyaf fforddiadwy y DU. Rhagor o wybodaeth am gostau byw yng Nghaerdydd.
Career prospects are generally excellent with graduating students following paths either into research or related industry.
If you are interested in working in industry, many of our graduating MSc students achieve excellent employment opportunities in organisations including Infineon, Huawei, Cambridge Silicon Radio, Vodafone and International Rectifier.
In terms of research, Cardiff University has many electrical, electronic and microwave related research areas that require PhD students, and this MSc will provide you with an excellent platform if this is your chosen career path.
Other course options
Data HESA: Hawlfraint yr Asiantaeth Ystadegau Addysg Uwch Cyfyngedig 2020. Ni all yr Asiantaeth Ystadegau Addysg Uwch Cyfyngedig dderbyn cyfrifoldeb am unrhyw gasgliadau neu benderfyniadau sy'n deillio o drydydd partïon o'i data. Daw’r data o Arolwg Hynt Graddedigion Diweddaraf 2017/18 a gyhoeddwyd gan HESA ym mis Mehefin 2020.