Skip to main content

Second degree funding (Years 1-4)

There is no NHS funding available to students in years 1–4 of the A100 Medicine course or the BDS Dental Surgery.

Tuition fees

You will need to self-fund the tuition fees for the first four years of your course.

Help with living costs

Student loan

Home students will be eligible for the maintenance loan. Your loan entitlement will depend on where you were living before the course and is based on a household income assessment.

Here are the rates of maintenance loan via Student Finance Wales and England for living away from the parental home.

Maintenance Loan via Student Finance WalesAmount per year
Not income assessed£10,720
Maintenance Loan via Student Finance EnglandAmount per year
Income assessed - maximum£9,978
Income assessed - minimum£4,651

If you are from Scotland or N Ireland please check directly with your student finance service:

Children and/or adult dependants

Extra funding for children including help with registered childcare costs is available via Student Finance. There is also an adult dependants grant. This support is income assessed against the income of a partner or spouse if applicable. The student finance service website will have more information about this support for dependants.

Additional learning support needs

If you require learning support related to a disability, long-term physical or mental health condition, or a specific learning difficulty, there is a non-income assessed allowance that may help with associated costs of this support. The allowance is called the Disabled Students Allowance (DSA).

To find out more, please contact our Disability and Dyslexia team at You apply for the DSA via your funding authority.

Further advice

If you require further advice and information about the funding available, please contact:

Student Funding and Advice Team