Skip to main content

Graduate Entry Scheme funding (Years 2-4)

Students in their second, third and fourth years of the Graduate Entry Medicine programme will be able to apply for financial support via the NHS and Student Finance to help with tuition fees and living costs.

Tuition fees

The NHS will pay the first £3,465 regardless of family income. You need to apply for the NHS Bursary so that your tuition fees are paid by the NHS.

You will have the option to take out a Tuition Fee Student Loan for the balance of the fees.

How to apply

You should apply online for the NHS bursary before starting your course. The authority you deal with depends on where you lived prior to the start of your course:

Where you livedFinance authority
WalesNHS (Wales) Student Awards Services (NHS SAS)
EnglandNHS Business Services Authority (NHS BSA)
ScotlandStudent Awards Agency for Scotland
Northern IrelandStudent Finance Northern Ireland

The relevant funding authority will assess your application and notify the University and you of the award. If you qualify for a bursary for living costs the University Finance Office will pay it in to your bank account.

Help with living costs

NHS Bursary

A means tested NHS bursary is available to home UK funded students. This is assessed against household income.

The table does not include extra study weeks allowance. The standard academic year runs from the third week of September to mid June. For each extra week that you have to attend your course outside of this period £84 is added to the Bursary entitlement. This addition is part of the income assessment.

If you live in your parental home while studying your bursary entitlement will be reduced.

Gross household incomeNHS Bursary
£24,279 or less£2,643

NHS Grant

You can also apply for a non means tested NHS Grant of £1000 per year to help with living costs.

Student loan

You will be eligible for the student loan but not the grant for maintenance. Your loan entitlement will depend on where you were living before the course.  It is not based on an income assessment.

Course yearStudents living in Wales prior to courseStudents living in England prior to course
Years 2 and 3£3,030£2,324
Final year£2,361£1,811
 Apply through Student Finance WalesApply through Student Finance England

Children and/or adult dependant

You can apply for income assessed extra allowances to help with family living costs and registered childcare costs.

Additional learning support needs

There is an option to apply for non-income assessed Disabled Students Allowance (DSA). Please contact the Disability and Dyslexia Team for more information.

Further advice

If you require further advice and information about the funding available, please contact:

Advice and Money Team

Press option 5 when calling.