Skip to content

NHS bursary

NHS funding will be available for new students starting the following healthcare courses in September 2019.  Eligibility for NHS funding is subject to new students committing in advance to work in Wales for 2 years (degree students) or 18 months (diploma students) post qualification.

The NHS bursary provides help for fees and living costs.

The NHS only provides financial support for living costs to students treated as home UK funded students.

Eligible courses

Students on the following courses can usually apply for NHS funding but only if they commit to working in Wales post qualification for a 2 year period:

  • Diagnostic Radiography and Imaging (BSc)
  • Occupational Therapy (BSc/Postgraduate Diploma)
  • Nursing (BN)
  • Midwifery (BMid)
  • Radiotherapy and Oncology (BSc)
  • Physiotherapy (BSc)
  • Dental Therapy and Hygiene (BSc)
  • Dental Hygiene (DipHE)
  • Operating Department Practice (BSc).

How to apply

The School of Healthcare Sciences and the Dental School will notify the NHS Wales Student Awards Services (NHS SAS) of those applicants who have accepted an offer of a place of study on either a firm or insurance basis.

Applicants can then apply for NHS funding through the online application system for the NHS (Wales) SAS.

Wherever you are from in the UK, you must apply via the NHS Wales SAS.

As part of your application, you apply for tuition fee support and help with living costs.

You need to apply for the non-means tested NHS grant for living costs as this is not automatic.

The bursary covers the following:

The bursary covers tuition fees in full, and is non-income assessed, but you still need to apply for this as part of the online application.

You need to apply for the non-means tested NHS grant as this is not automatic.

Non-means tested NHS grant

You can apply for a non means tested NHS Grant of £1,000 per year to help with living costs. The NHS Grant is non-repayable.

Means tested NHS bursary

This is assessed against household income. If you live in your parental home while studying your bursary entitlement will be reduced.

The maximum basic bursary is currently £2,643 per year, but can be increased for extra study weeks, at £84 per extra week. The NHS Bursary is non-repayable.

How the bursary is assessed:

Gross household income

Midwifery (includes extra study weeks allowance)

Nursing (includes extra study weeks allowance)

Other courses (excludes extra study weeks allowance)

£24,279 or less
































Student loan for living costs

You can also apply online for a repayable Maintenance Loan via your home UK country Student Finance Service.

Gross household income

Students living in Wales prior to course

Students living in England prior to course

Living away from parental home

£3,392 in Years 1 and 2
and £2,643 in the final year

£2,324 in Years 1 and 2
and £1,811 in the final year

Living in parental home

£2,544 in Years 1 and 2
and £1,934 in the final year

£1,744 in Years 1 and 2
and £1,324 in the final year


Apply through Student Finance Wales

Apply through Student Finance England

PG Diploma students are not eligible for the student loan via Student Finance.

If you have a NHS funded place you can apply for help with placement costs (except for EU students who qualify for fees support only).

Help is based on the cost of a return journey from your home (term-time address) to the placement LESS the cost of the return journey from your home (term-time address) to Cardiff University ie your normal commute to attend university.

If you have to pay for accommodation at your placement location you can apply for help with this cost if you also incur accommodation costs for your normal term-time address.

You apply for help for placement costs via the University. You'll receive guidance on how to apply when you have enrolled.

A NHS Childcare Allowance is available to help with registered childcare costs, plus Dependants Allowances for children and a Parents Learning Allowance which is a general source of extra help as a student parent.

There is also an Adult Dependants Grant if you have a partner/spouse or another adult who you care for and is financially dependant on you.

This extra funding is income assessed which is usually the income of a spouse or partner. Lone parent students usually qualify for maximum extra funding.

To find out more about what extra funding you may be entitled to receive, please contact the Advice and Money team.

If you require learning support related to a disability, long-term physical or mental health condition, or specific learning difficulty, there is an allowance that is not income-assessed and non-repayable that may help with associated costs of this support.

To find out more, please contact our Disability and Dyslexia team at or

You apply for the DSA as part of the online application.

Non-UK EU students starting a healthcare course in 2018/19 can apply for help with tuition fees through the NHS Wales Student Awards Services (NHS SAS).

Non-UK EU students may be eligible to apply for help with living costs subject to residence conditions.

For further advice about eligibility and entitlement to funding as an EU student contact the Advice and Money team.

No announcement has been made yet by the UK Government about EU students starting a course in September 2019 and eligibility for student funding.

Getting help

If you have any queries about funding for your course, please contact the Advice and Money team:

Advice and Money Team