Peirianneg Sifil a Dŵr (MSc)
- Hyd: 1 flwyddyn
- Dull astudio: Amser llawn
Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.
Pam astudio’r cwrs hwn
This course aims to complement a relevant undergraduate degree, by introducing students to hydroinformatics, computational hydraulics and environmental hydraulics, including water quality indicators and sediment transport processes in coastal, estuarine and inland waters.
In recent years, there has been a growing world-wide concern about environmental water management issues, including concerns about coastal and estuarine water pollution, river flooding and urban drainage, wetland and mangrove management, and ecological aspects of lakes and reservoirs, to mention but a few. In addressing these and other environmental challenges, engineers and environmental managers are using sophisticated numerical models for predicting complex hydrodynamic, water quality and sediment transport processes. These models are increasingly complemented with decision support software systems and a wide range of related hydroinformatics software tools.
The MSc in Civil and Water Engineering will offer you the knowledge and expertise that you need for a career as a consulting water engineer within this specialist professional area of civil engineering. The course aims to complement a relevant undergraduate degree by introducing you to hydroinformatics, computational hydraulics and environmental hydraulics, including water quality indicators and sediment transport processes in coastal, estuarine and inland waters.
The MSc is aimed at graduates in Civil Engineering, Earth Sciences, Environmental Sciences and Bio-Sciences. Good mathematical skills are an advantage. The degree programme is also aimed at engineers/scientists working in relevant areas wishing to upgrade or refresh their qualifications.
The distinctive features of this course include:
- The School of Engineering received the highest rating in the UK for its research and its research impact in the Government’s latest Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014).
- The course lecturers have considerable experience of working on a wide range of practical environmental hydraulics project and their models have been mounted by over 35 companies for over 80 world-wide EIA projects and by over 45 universities in 17 countries.
- The MSc in Civil and Water Engineering is accredited by the ICE, IStructE, IHT and IHIE, as meeting the requirements for Further Learning for a Chartered Engineer under the provisions of UK-SPEC for intakes 2014-2018 inclusive, for candidates that have already acquired a CEng accredited BEng (Hons) undergraduate first degree or an IEng accredited BSc (Hons) undergraduate first degree.
Meini prawf derbyn
Typically, you will need to have either:
- a 2:2 honours degree in architectural, civil, coastal, hydro, structural, water, water supply or water waste engineering, or an equivalent international degree
- or relevant industrial experience evidenced by a reference.
Applicants with a degree in biosciences or earth sciences may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
English Language requirements:
IELTS with an overall score of 6.5 with 5.5 in all subskills, or an accepted equivalent.
We allocate places on a first-come, first-served basis, so we recommend you apply as early as possible.
We will review your application and if you meet the entry requirements, we will make you an offer.
Rhagor o wybodaeth am ofynion Iaith Saesneg.
Mae'n rhaid i ymgeiswyr sydd angen Fisa myfyriwr i astudio yn y DU gyflwyno cymhwyster iaith Saesneg derbyniol er mwyn bodloni gofynion UKVI (Fisâu a Mewnfudo y DU).
You are not required to complete a DBS (Disclosure Barring Service) check or provide a Certificate of Good Conduct to study this course.
If you are currently subject to any licence condition or monitoring restriction that could affect your ability to successfully complete your studies, you will be required to disclose your criminal record. Conditions include, but are not limited to:
- access to computers or devices that can store images
- use of internet and communication tools/devices
- freedom of movement, including the ability to travel to outside of the UK or to undertake a placement/studies outside of Cardiff University
- contact with people related to Cardiff University.
Strwythur y cwrs
The MSc in Civil and Water Engineering is run by the School of Engineering and is designed to provide specialised, postgraduate training in environmental water engineering whilst having a measure of flexibility to permit some study of related subjects in Civil and Geoenvironmental Engineering.
The aim of the programme is to enhance your engineering skills and the completion of an extended project within one of the water engineering fields forms a major part of the programme. The course will complement an undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering, or similar, by introducing you to hydroinformatics, computational hydraulics and environmental hydraulics, including water quality indicators and sediment transport processes in coastal, estuarine and inland waters. You will have the opportunity to work with some of these models in an extended project. The degree programme is available on a one-year full-time basis or on a three-year part-time basis.
The course is comprised of taught modules in the Autumn and Spring semesters, followed by an individual research project. The degree programme is available on a one year full-time basis or on a three year part-time basis.
Mae'r modiwlau a ddangosir yn esiampl o'r cwricwlwm arferol. Byddant yn cael eu hadolygu cyn blwyddyn academaidd 2022/23. Bydd y modiwlau terfynol yn cael eu cyhoeddi erbyn mis Medi 2022.
Once you have completed the taught section of your course in Part 1, you will be required to undertake an individual research project in a specialist area of civil and water engineering, leading to the preparation of a dissertation. Project work is undertaken under the direct supervision of a member of staff in one of the three participating departments.
|Teitl modiwl||Côd modiwl||Credydau|
|Professional Engineering Studies||ENT521||10 credydau|
|Environmental Fluid Mechanics||ENT602||10 credydau|
|Environmental Policy and Regulation||ENT620||10 credydau|
|Sediment Transport Dynamics||ENT710||10 credydau|
|Engineering Case Study||ENT725||20 credydau|
|Flood Design||ENT750||10 credydau|
|Soil and Groundwater Chemistry||ENT752||10 credydau|
|Dissertation (Civil, Structural, Geoenvironmental, Water)||ENT509||60 credydau|
Mae'r Brifysgol wedi ymrwymo i ddarparu amrywiaeth eang o opsiynau modiwl lle’n bosibl. Ond byddwch yn ymwybodol er y byddwn yn gwneud pob ymdrech i gynnig dewis, gall hyn gael ei gyfyngu mewn rhai amgylchiadau. Y rheswm am hyn yw'r ffaith mai dim ond nifer cyfyngedig o leoedd sydd ar gael ar rai modiwlau, a gaiff eu dyrannu ar sail y cyntaf i'r felin. Mae'n ofynnol i fodiwlau eraill sicrhau isafswm nifer o fyfyrwyr cyn gallu eu cynnal, er mwyn gwneud yn siŵr y gellir cyflwyno addysg o ansawdd priodol. Gall modiwlau gael eu cyfyngu oherwydd gwrthdaro yn yr amserlen hefyd, ac er bod y Brifysgol yn ymdrechu i amharu cyn lleied â phosibl ar eich dewis, byddai'n syniad da i chi ofyn am gyngor gan yr Ysgol berthnasol am y dewisiadau modiwl sydd ar gael.
Dysgu ac asesu
Sut y caf fy addysgu?
A wide range of teaching styles will be used to deliver the diverse material forming the curriculum of the programme. You will attend lectures and participate in examples classes. You must complete 120 credits in Stage 1 in order to progress to the dissertation, for which you will be allocated a supervisor from among the teaching staff. Dissertation topics are normally chosen from a range of project titles proposed by academic staff, usually in areas of current research interest, although you will be encouraged to put forward your own project ideas.
Sut y caf fy asesu?
Assessment is conducted via coursework and examinations.
You will be required to undertake an individual research project in a specialist area of Water Engineering, leading to the preparation of a dissertation. Project work is undertaken under the direct supervision of a member of staff in one of the three participating departments.
Sut y caf fy nghefnogi?
You will receive supervision from experts in their field during your project and dissertation, and will have access to the research facilities of the School.
You will receive written feedback for written coursework assignments and oral feedback for assessed presentations.
Pa sgiliau y byddaf yn eu hymarfer a’u datblygu?
You will practise and develop the following skills:
Knowledge and understanding
- Understand the multidisciplinary nature of hydro-environment engineering and the need for the integration of knowledge from a range of engineering disciplines in the management of hydro-environment engineering challenges.
- Describe the techniques used to characterise the hydrodynamics of free surface flows, including species and particle transport.
- Describe and model the principal geochemical processes affecting contaminant mobility in the ground and their role in impacting the quality of groundwater and surface waters.
- Describe surface water biota and biological processes, and the effects of contaminants on the ecology of surface waters.
- Describe the modelling of river systems and the interpretation, using IT, of the results.
- Understand the basis of the finite element and finite difference methods and apply the methods to 2D water problems.
- Demonstrate knowledge which is at the forefront of a range of disciplines selected from: geological, geoenvironmental, flooding, environmental law, environmental and highway engineering and the management of engineering.
- Use knowledge and scientific, evidence-based, methods in the assessment and solution of hydro-environment engineering challenges, often on the basis of limited and possibly contradictory information.
- Deal with complex water engineering issues both systematically and creatively.
- Critically review the background to a hydro-environment engineering problem and to formulate a programme of works to address the issue.
- Systematically undertake a significant research project in hydro-environment engineering which includes originality in the application of knowledge and the exercise of critical engineering judgement.
- Show originality in tackling both familiar and unfamiliar problems.
- Collect, evaluate, synthesise and interpret qualitative and quantitative data in a variety of ways, and identify means to gain new data where needed.
- Conceive, plan, execute, and communicate the results of an extended in-depth piece of individual project work.
- Sustain a critical argument, both in writing and through presentations.
- Use appropriate mathematical and experimental methods for the modelling and analysis of hydro-environment engineering problems.
- Manipulate, present and report data in a variety of ways.
- Manage resources and time.
- Communicate ideas, principles and theories effectively by oral, written, and physical or practical means.
Ffioedd dysgu ar gyfer dechrau astudio yn 2022
Myfyrwyr o'r DU
Myfyrwyr o'r UE, AEE a'r Swistir
Os ydych chi'n wladolyn o'r UE/AEE neu'r Swistir, oni bai eich bod yn gymwys i gael statws ffioedd y DU, bydd eich ffioedd dysgu yn unol â'r ffioedd a godir ar fyfyrwyr rhyngwladol. Mae UKCISA wedi darparu gwybodaeth am Brexit a ffioedd dysgu.
Myfyrwyr o weddill y byd (rhyngwladol)
Rhagor o wybodaeth am ffioedd dysgu a blaendaliadau, gan gynnwys ar gyfer myfyrwyr rhan-amser a pharhaus.
Gallai cymorth ariannol fod ar gael ar gyfer unigolion sy'n bodloni rhai meini prawf. Cewch ragor o wybodaeth yn ein hadran arian. Dim ond hyn a hyn o gymorth ariannol y gall y ffynonellau hyn eu cynnig, felly ni allwn warantu y bydd pawb sy'n bodloni'r meini prawf yn cael arian.
A fydd angen unrhyw gyfarpar penodol arnaf I astudio’r cwrs hwn?
No specific equipment is needed for this course.
Rydym wedi ein lleoli yn un o ddinasoedd mwyaf fforddiadwy y DU. Rhagor o wybodaeth am gostau byw yng Nghaerdydd.
The record of employment of graduates of the Cardiff University MSc in Civil and Water Engineering is excellent, with the majority of graduates joining engineering consultancies. A small number of graduates each year go on to further study, typically a PhD.
Other course options
Data HESA: Hawlfraint yr Asiantaeth Ystadegau Addysg Uwch Cyfyngedig 2020. Ni all yr Asiantaeth Ystadegau Addysg Uwch Cyfyngedig dderbyn cyfrifoldeb am unrhyw gasgliadau neu benderfyniadau sy'n deillio o drydydd partïon o'i data. Daw’r data o Arolwg Hynt Graddedigion Diweddaraf 2017/18 a gyhoeddwyd gan HESA ym mis Mehefin 2020.