Peirianneg Sifil (MSc)
- Hyd: 1 flwyddyn
- Dull astudio: Amser llawn
Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.
Pam astudio’r cwrs hwn
Mae datblygiad a chynnydd cymdeithas yn dibynnu i raddau helaeth ar sgiliau, dychymyg ac ymroddiad ei pheirianwyr sifil.
Ranked 1st in the UK
Civil and Construction Engineering at Cardiff University was ranked as No.1 for research impact in the latest government research assessment (REF2014) making us one of the top Schools to study.
Strong research focus
You will learn in a research-led teaching institution, with the opportunity to undertake your project in a successful, research-based environment with access to high-quality facilities to support your work.
Industry links and projects
This course includes industrial input through invited lecturers, and you will have the opportunity to complete a research-led project.
The MSc in Civil Engineering aims to build on the knowledge and skills that you have obtained as an undergraduate and to help prepare you for a career as a consulting civil engineer across the broad spectrum of the professional discipline. The overall aim of this well-established course is to provide a sound scientific, technical and commercial understanding of civil engineering issues and practice. You will be introduced to the broad nature of civil engineering through the integration of knowledge from structural engineering, geotechnical engineering and water engineering. The course will also provide training in engineering research methods and will develop a range of related transferable skills. You will also develop an appreciation of the principles and activities involved in the day-to-day management of engineering business units, typical of those within which civil engineering is practised.
Graduates of this course will be able to work as professional and highly proficient engineers with the skills and expertise necessary to work in a range of careers across the field of civil engineering.
Meini prawf derbyn
A 2:2 honours degree in Civil, Structural or Architectural Engineering or a similar field from a UK university, or an equivalent international degree qualification. If you have relevant industrial experience we will give your application individual consideration.
Entry to courses in Engineering will be subject to the University requirements for English language.
Rhagor o wybodaeth am ofynion Iaith Saesneg.
Mae'n rhaid i ymgeiswyr sydd angen Fisa myfyriwr i astudio yn y DU gyflwyno cymhwyster iaith Saesneg derbyniol er mwyn bodloni gofynion UKVI (Fisâu a Mewnfudo y DU).
You are not required to complete a DBS (Disclosure Barring Service) check or provide a Certificate of Good Conduct to study this course.
If you are currently subject to any licence condition or monitoring restriction that could affect your ability to successfully complete your studies, you will be required to disclose your criminal record. Conditions include, but are not limited to:
- access to computers or devices that can store images
- use of internet and communication tools/devices
- freedom of movement, including the ability to travel to outside of the UK or to undertake a placement/studies outside of Cardiff University
- contact with people related to Cardiff University.
Strwythur y cwrs
The programme is presented as a one-year full-time Master's level programme, and is also available in part-time mode over three years.
The programme is presented in two stages:
- The taught material is delivered during the Autumn and Spring semesters. An extended project within one of the Civil Engineering fields forms a major part of the course. In Stage 1 students follow taught modules to the value of 120 credits, with a limited amount of choice between optional modules.
- Stage 2 consists of a project and dissertation module worth 60 credits.
Summative assessment is undertaken at the end of each stage (or each year if part-time).
Mae'r modiwlau a ddangosir yn esiampl o'r cwricwlwm arferol. Byddant yn cael eu hadolygu cyn blwyddyn academaidd 2022/23. Bydd y modiwlau terfynol yn cael eu cyhoeddi erbyn mis Medi 2022.
|Teitl modiwl||Côd modiwl||Credydau|
|Dissertation (Civil, Structural, Geoenvironmental, Water)||ENT509||60 credydau|
|Numerical Techniques in Civil Engineering||ENT501||10 credydau|
|Steel Structures||ENT507||10 credydau|
|Professional Engineering Studies||ENT521||10 credydau|
|Environmental Fluid Mechanics||ENT602||10 credydau|
|FE Theory and Practice||ENT603||10 credydau|
|Advanced Structural Mechanics||ENT700||10 credydau|
|Engineering Case Study||ENT725||20 credydau|
Mae'r Brifysgol wedi ymrwymo i ddarparu amrywiaeth eang o opsiynau modiwl lle’n bosibl. Ond byddwch yn ymwybodol er y byddwn yn gwneud pob ymdrech i gynnig dewis, gall hyn gael ei gyfyngu mewn rhai amgylchiadau. Y rheswm am hyn yw'r ffaith mai dim ond nifer cyfyngedig o leoedd sydd ar gael ar rai modiwlau, a gaiff eu dyrannu ar sail y cyntaf i'r felin. Mae'n ofynnol i fodiwlau eraill sicrhau isafswm nifer o fyfyrwyr cyn gallu eu cynnal, er mwyn gwneud yn siŵr y gellir cyflwyno addysg o ansawdd priodol. Gall modiwlau gael eu cyfyngu oherwydd gwrthdaro yn yr amserlen hefyd, ac er bod y Brifysgol yn ymdrechu i amharu cyn lleied â phosibl ar eich dewis, byddai'n syniad da i chi ofyn am gyngor gan yr Ysgol berthnasol am y dewisiadau modiwl sydd ar gael.
Dysgu ac asesu
Sut y caf fy addysgu?
A wide range of teaching styles will be used to deliver the diverse material forming the curriculum of the programme. You will attend lectures and participate in examples classes. All students must complete 120 credits in Stage 1 in order to progress to the dissertation, for which they are allocated a supervisor from among the teaching staff. Dissertation topics are normally chosen from a range of project titles proposed by academic staff, usually in areas of current research interest, although students are encouraged to put forward their own project ideas.
Sut y caf fy asesu?
Achievement of learning outcomes in the majority of modules is assessed by a combination of coursework assignments, plus University examinations set in January or May. Examinations count for 60%–70% of assessment in Stage 1 of the programme, depending on the options chosen, the remainder being largely project work and pieces of coursework.
The award of an MSc requires successful completion of Stage 2, the dissertation, with a mark of 50% or higher. Candidates achieving a 70% average may be awarded a Distinction. Candidates achieving a 60% average may be awarded a Merit. Candidates failing to qualify for an MSc may be awarded a Postgraduate Diploma for 120 credits in Stage 1. Candidates failing to complete the 120 credits required for Stage 1 may still be eligible for the award of a Postgraduate Certificate for the achievement of at least 60 credits.
Sut y caf fy nghefnogi?
You will be allocated a personal tutor to assist you with both academic progress and pastoral support when required. The personal tutor will see students early on in the programme, and then as required. For the dissertation stage, you will be allocated a supervisor in the relevant research area whom you should expect to meet with regularly.
In addition to the broad range of support services provided centrally by Cardiff University, students with specific needs will be supported as required.
Learning Central, the Cardiff University virtual learning environment (VLE), will be used extensively to communicate with students, support lectures and provide general programme materials such as reading lists and module descriptions. It may also be used to provide self-testing assessment and give feedback.
You will receive written feedback for written coursework assignments and oral feedback for assessed presentations.
Pa sgiliau y byddaf yn eu hymarfer a’u datblygu?
As a student on this MSc programme you will practise and develop the following skills:
Knowledge and understanding
- Understand the multi-disciplinary nature of civil engineering and the need for the integration of knowledge from structural, geotechnical and water engineering in the management of civil engineering challenges.
- Describe the techniques used to characterise the hydrodynamics of free surface flows, including species and particle transport.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of several cement-based composites and the use of fracture mechanics in concrete design.
- Describe the modelling of river systems and the interpretation, using IT of the results.
- Understand the basis of the finite element finite difference methods and apply the methods to 2D civil engineering problems.
- Demonstrate knowledge which is at the forefront of a range of disciplines selected from structural, geotechnical, environmental and water engineering and the management of engineering.
- Use knowledge and scientific, evidence-based methods in the assessment and solution of civil engineering challenges, often on the basis of limited and possibly contradictory information.
- Deal with complex civil engineering issues both systematically and creatively.
- Show originality in tackling both familiar and unfamiliar problems.
- Critically review the background to an engineering problem and to formulate a programme of works to address the issue.
- Systematically undertake a significant research project which includes originality in the application of knowledge and the exercise of critical engineering judgement.
- Collect, evaluate, synthesise and interpret qualitative and quantitative data in a variety of ways, and identify means to gain new data where needed.
- Conceive, plan, execute, and communicate the results of an extended in-depth piece of individual project work.
- Sustain a critical argument, both in writing and through presentations.
- Use appropriate mathematical and experimental methods for the modelling and analysis of civil engineering problems.
- Manipulate, present and report data in a variety of ways.
- Manage resources and time.
- Communicate ideas, principles and theories effectively by oral, written, and physical or practical means.
Ffioedd dysgu ar gyfer dechrau astudio yn 2022
Myfyrwyr o'r DU
Nid yw ffioedd ar gyfer mynediad 2022/23 ar gael eto
Myfyrwyr o'r UE, AEE a'r Swistir
Rydym yn aros am gadarnhad o'r ffioedd dysgu ar gyfer blwyddyn academaidd 2022/23.
Myfyrwyr o weddill y byd (rhyngwladol)
Rydym yn aros am gadarnhad o'r ffioedd dysgu ar gyfer blwyddyn academaidd 2022/23.
A fydd angen unrhyw gyfarpar penodol arnaf I astudio’r cwrs hwn?
No specific equipment is needed for this course.
Rydym wedi ein lleoli yn un o ddinasoedd mwyaf fforddiadwy y DU. Rhagor o wybodaeth am gostau byw yng Nghaerdydd.
This course's graduate employment record is excellent, with the majority of graduates joining engineering consultancies.
Other course options
Data HESA: Hawlfraint yr Asiantaeth Ystadegau Addysg Uwch Cyfyngedig 2020. Ni all yr Asiantaeth Ystadegau Addysg Uwch Cyfyngedig dderbyn cyfrifoldeb am unrhyw gasgliadau neu benderfyniadau sy'n deillio o drydydd partïon o'i data. Daw’r data o Arolwg Hynt Graddedigion Diweddaraf 2017/18 a gyhoeddwyd gan HESA ym mis Mehefin 2020.