Peirianneg Sifil a Geoamgylcheddol (MSc)
- Hyd: 1 flwyddyn
- Dull astudio: Amser llawn
Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.
Pam astudio’r cwrs hwn
This course is designed to provide specialist postgraduate professional development in this emerging and inclusive discipline, which recognises that many environmental challenges cannot be solved by one traditional discipline alone. The programme encompasses areas traditionally within civil engineering, earth sciences and biology.
There is an open and engaging culture between our students and our research-active staff, who are actively involved in the design and delivery of this course.
The course involves an innovative partnership between the Schools of Engineering, Earth and Environmental Sciences and Biosciences.
Industry links and projects
This course includes industrial input through invited lecturers, and you will have the opportunity to complete a research-led project.
This MSc offers you the knowledge and expertise that you need to help you forge a career as a consulting geoenvironmental engineer within a multi-disciplinary professional team. The course is designed to provide specialist postgraduate professional development in this emerging discipline, encompassing areas traditionally within civil engineering, earth sciences and biology.
Geoenvironmental engineering is an inclusive discipline which recognises that many environmental challenges cannot be solved by one traditional discipline alone. The solutions to environmental challenges relating to human interaction with soil, groundwater and surface water require engineers to possess a broad range of knowledge and expertise. Cardiff University's MSc in Civil and Geoenvironmental Engineering prepares you to meet these challenges.
Civil engineering, earth sciences and the life sciences are all part of the discipline of geoenvironmental engineering. As a geoenvironmental engineer you could be involved in a wide range of activities, including contaminated land management, hydrogeology, water resource management, geochemical analysis, groundwater and surface water contamination fate and transport prediction, environmental impact assessment, environmental risk assessment, and habitat management. Geoenvironmental engineers frequently work in multidisciplinary project teams and developments.
Meini prawf derbyn
Typically, you will need to have either:
- a 2:2 honours degree in architectural, civil, geotechnical or structural engineering or a similar subject such as biosciences or earth sciences, or an equivalent international degree
- or relevant industrial experience evidenced by a reference.
If you have relevant industrial experience we will give your application individual consideration.
Good mathematical skills are an advantage.
English Language requirements:
IELTS with an overall score of 6.5 with 5.5 in all subskills, or an accepted equivalent.
We allocate places on a first-come, first-served basis, so we recommend you apply as early as possible.
We will review your application and if you meet the entry requirements, we will make you an offer.
Rhagor o wybodaeth am ofynion Iaith Saesneg.
Mae'n rhaid i ymgeiswyr sydd angen Fisa myfyriwr i astudio yn y DU gyflwyno cymhwyster iaith Saesneg derbyniol er mwyn bodloni gofynion UKVI (Fisâu a Mewnfudo y DU).
You are not required to complete a DBS (Disclosure Barring Service) check or provide a Certificate of Good Conduct to study this course.
If you are currently subject to any licence condition or monitoring restriction that could affect your ability to successfully complete your studies, you will be required to disclose your criminal record. Conditions include, but are not limited to:
- access to computers or devices that can store images
- use of internet and communication tools/devices
- freedom of movement, including the ability to travel to outside of the UK or to undertake a placement/studies outside of Cardiff University
- contact with people related to Cardiff University.
Strwythur y cwrs
The course is comprised of taught modules in the Autumn and Spring semesters, followed by an individual research project.
The degree programme is available on a one year full-time basis or on a three year part-time basis. The full-time programme is delivered over two taught semesters followed by a research period and preparation of a dissertation. This MSc is a partnership between the School of Engineering, the School of Earth, Ocean and Planetary Science and the School of Biosciences, and is administered by the School of Engineering.
Mae'r modiwlau a ddangosir yn esiampl o'r cwricwlwm arferol. Byddant yn cael eu hadolygu cyn blwyddyn academaidd 2021/22. Bydd y modiwlau terfynol yn cael eu cyhoeddi erbyn mis Medi 2021.
Once you have completed the taught section of your course in Part 1, you will be required to undertake an individual research project in a specialist area of geoenvironmental engineering, leading to the preparation of a dissertation.
Project work is undertaken under the direct supervision of a member of staff in one of the three participating departments.
|Teitl modiwl||Côd modiwl||Credydau|
|Industrial Practice||ENT512||10 credydau|
|Professional Engineering Studies||ENT521||10 credydau|
|Environmental Fluid Mechanics||ENT602||10 credydau|
|Environmental Policy and Regulation||ENT620||10 credydau|
|Engineering Case Study||ENT725||20 credydau|
|Flood Design||ENT750||10 credydau|
|Soil and Groundwater Chemistry||ENT752||10 credydau|
|Waste Management and Recycling||ENT761||10 credydau|
|Dissertation (Civil, Structural, Geoenvironmental, Water)||ENT509||60 credydau|
Mae'r Brifysgol wedi ymrwymo i ddarparu amrywiaeth eang o opsiynau modiwl lle’n bosibl. Ond byddwch yn ymwybodol er y byddwn yn gwneud pob ymdrech i gynnig dewis, gall hyn gael ei gyfyngu mewn rhai amgylchiadau. Y rheswm am hyn yw'r ffaith mai dim ond nifer cyfyngedig o leoedd sydd ar gael ar rai modiwlau, a gaiff eu dyrannu ar sail y cyntaf i'r felin. Mae'n ofynnol i fodiwlau eraill sicrhau isafswm nifer o fyfyrwyr cyn gallu eu cynnal, er mwyn gwneud yn siŵr y gellir cyflwyno addysg o ansawdd priodol. Gall modiwlau gael eu cyfyngu oherwydd gwrthdaro yn yr amserlen hefyd, ac er bod y Brifysgol yn ymdrechu i amharu cyn lleied â phosibl ar eich dewis, byddai'n syniad da i chi ofyn am gyngor gan yr Ysgol berthnasol am y dewisiadau modiwl sydd ar gael.
Dysgu ac asesu
Sut y caf fy addysgu?
Part 1 of your course involves taught classes such as lectures, laboratory sessions and tutorials. You will be taught by leading international researchers in the fields of civil and geoenvironmental engineering.
A feature of the MSc in Civil and Geoenvironmental Engineering is the series of short, workshop style training courses covering practical applications, integrating professional practice issues with the scientific and engineering foundation of the course. These workshops are delivered by recognised professional practitioners in the industry.
Sut y caf fy asesu?
Achievement of learning outcomes in the majority of modules is assessed by a combination of coursework assignments, plus University examinations set in January or May. Examinations count for 60%–70% of assessment in Stage 1 of the programme, depending on the options chosen, the remainder being largely project work and pieces of coursework.
Award of an MSc requires successful completion of Stage 2, the Dissertation, with a mark of 50% or higher. Candidates achieving a 70% average may be awarded a Distinction.
Candidates achieving a 60% average may be awarded a Merit. Candidates failing to qualify for an MSc may be awarded a Postgraduate Diploma for 120 credits in Stage 1. Candidates failing to complete the 120 credits required for Stage 1 may still be eligible for the award of a Postgraduate Certificate for the achievement of at least 60 credits.
Sut y caf fy nghefnogi?
You will receive supervision from experts in their field during your project and dissertation, and will have access to the research facilities of the School.
You will receive written feedback for written coursework assignment and oral feedback for assessed presentations.
Pa sgiliau y byddaf yn eu hymarfer a’u datblygu?
Knowledge and understanding
Upon completing this programme, you should be able to:
- Understand the multidisciplinary nature of geoenvironmental engineering and the need for the integration of knowledge from civil engineering, earth sciences and biological sciences in the management of geoenvironmental engineering challenges.
- Demonstrate awareness of the significance of geological, geochemical, hydrological and biological data in geoenvironmental management.
- Demonstrate awareness of the scientific, technical, legal and commercial issues affecting geoenvironmental engineering practice;
- Describe the techniques used to characterise flow of groundwater and surface waters.
- Describe and model the principal geochemical processes affecting contaminant mobility in the ground and their role in impacting the quality of groundwater and surface waters.
- Describe surface water biota and biological processes, and the effects of contaminants on the ecology of surface waters.
- Undertake mathematical and numerical modelling of groundwater flow and groundwater contaminant transport.
- Select appropriate methods for the investigation, assessment, management and mitigation of contaminants in the ground, in groundwater and in surface waters.
- Use knowledge and scientific, evidence-based, methods in the assessment and solution of geoenvironmental engineering challenges, often on the basis of limited and possibly contradictory information.
- Deal with complex geoenvironmental engineering issues both systematically and creatively.
- Show originality in tackling both familiar and unfamiliar problems.
- Critically review the background to a geoenvironmental engineering problem and to formulate a programme of work to address the issue.
- Systematically undertake a significant research project in geoenvironmental engineering which includes originality in the application of knowledge and the exercise of critical engineering judgement.
- Collect, evaluate, synthesise and interpret qualitative and quantitative data in a variety of ways, and identify means to gain new data where needed.
- Conceive, plan, execute, and communicate the results of an extended in-depth piece of individual project work.
- Sustain a critical argument, both in writing and through presentations.
Use appropriate mathematical and experimental methods for the modelling and analysis of geoenvironmental engineering problems.
- Manipulate, present and report data in a variety of ways.
- Manage resources and time.
- communicate ideas, principles and theories effectively by oral, written, and physical or practical means.
Ffioedd dysgu ar gyfer dechrau astudio yn 2021
Myfyrwyr o'r DU
Myfyrwyr o'r UE, AEE a'r Swistir
Bydd gwladolion yr UE, yr AEE a'r Swistir sy'n dechrau yn 2020/21 yn talu'r un ffioedd dysgu â myfyrwyr y DU drwy gydol eu cwrs.
Os ydych chi'n wladolyn o'r UE/AEE neu'r Swistir, oni bai eich bod yn gymwys i gael statws ffioedd y DU, bydd ffioedd dysgu ar gyfer 2021/22 yn unol â'r ffioedd a godir ar fyfyrwyr rhyngwladol. Mae UKCISA wedi darparu gwybodaeth am Brexit a ffioedd dysgu.
Myfyrwyr o weddill y byd (rhyngwladol)
Rhagor o wybodaeth am ffioedd dysgu a blaendaliadau, gan gynnwys ar gyfer myfyrwyr rhan-amser a pharhaus.
Gallai cymorth ariannol fod ar gael ar gyfer unigolion sy'n bodloni rhai meini prawf. Cewch ragor o wybodaeth yn ein hadran arian. Dim ond hyn a hyn o gymorth ariannol y gall y ffynonellau hyn eu cynnig, felly ni allwn warantu y bydd pawb sy'n bodloni'r meini prawf yn cael arian.
A fydd angen unrhyw gyfarpar penodol arnaf I astudio’r cwrs hwn?
No specific equipment is required.
Rydym wedi ein lleoli yn un o ddinasoedd mwyaf fforddiadwy y DU. Rhagor o wybodaeth am gostau byw yng Nghaerdydd.
The record of employment of graduates of the Cardiff University MSc in Civil and Geoenvironmental Engineering is excellent, with the majority of graduates joining engineering consultants. A small number of graduates each year go on to further study, typically a PhD.
Substantial industrial involvement with the design and delivery of the course ensures the continuing relevance of the MSc as preparation for professional employment work in this area.
Other course options
Data HESA: Hawlfraint yr Asiantaeth Ystadegau Addysg Uwch Cyfyngedig 2020. Ni all yr Asiantaeth Ystadegau Addysg Uwch Cyfyngedig dderbyn cyfrifoldeb am unrhyw gasgliadau neu benderfyniadau sy'n deillio o drydydd partïon o'i data. Daw’r data o Arolwg Hynt Graddedigion Diweddaraf 2017/18 a gyhoeddwyd gan HESA ym mis Mehefin 2020.