Ewch i’r prif gynnwys

Types of visas

Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.

To Study at Cardiff University as an international student, you must hold a valid visa which entitles you to study at this university.

Most international students will need to apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa. Please read the information below to help determine which visa is most appropriate. If you are a national of an EEA country or Switzerland, you do NOT need prior entry clearance to enter the UK and this section will NOT apply to you.

If you require any further guidance on what visa to apply for or have any questions about your visa application, please do contact our International Student Support team on iss@cardiff.ac.uk.

Tier 4 Student Visa

If you are 16 or 17 years old, you must apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa and not a Tier 4 (Child) student.

If you apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa you'll receive a visa for the full length of your course and you will be allowed to extend your visa (this may not be the case if you apply under the child route).

If you are currently in the UK on a Tier 4 (General) Student visa for another University or College then you must make an application for a new Tier 4 visa before you enrol at Cardiff University. You can only do so in the UK, if you have successfully completed your previous course.

Short Term Study Visa

If you're coming to study an English language course that is a maximum of 11 months, or a degree course for a maximum of six months, you may hear that you can come to the UK on a Short Term Study Visa instead of a Tier 4 student visa.

If you choose to come using a Short Term Study Visa, you will be much more restricted than if you come on a Tier 4 student visa.

You won't be allowed to do any paid or voluntary work (even if it is part of a course) and you cannot extend your stay in the UK or bring your family with you. For these reasons, it is not usually appropriate to come to the UK using a Short Term Study Visa and we recommend that you apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa.

Eligible applicants

The exceptions to this are:

  • Students studying on distance learning courses who need to come to the University for an examination or to attend a short course of less than six months and do not want to work in the UK.
  • International Exchange students studying in Cardiff for one semester (less than 6 months), who do not wish to work or volunteer whilst in Cardiff. Further details for International Exchange students.
  • Students studying on the English for University Study Programme and who do not want to work in the UK.

e-Passport gates

Nationals of Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea and USA are eligible to use the eGates at UK ports of entry when visiting the UK.

However students seeking entry to the UK under the short term study visa route should not use the e-Passport gates as you will not be able to obtain the correct entry stamp. Please pass through the manned immigration desk at UK Border Control, even if you are directed otherwise by immigration staff at the airport.

To help students needing to enter the UK as a short term student, the Home Office have provided information for students to show to UK Border Officers on arrival into the UK to help ensure that they receive the correct short term student stamp in their passports.

Tier 5 Visa

If you are not from the EEA or Switzerland and you are coming through the Erasmus+ Programme to complete a research placement at Cardiff University (Erasmus+ Traineeship placement), you will require a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker – Government Authorised Exchange) visa. To apply for this visa, you will first need to apply for a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) from the British Council. Further details on how to apply for the CoS.