3D seismic laboratory
Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.
Our state-of-the-art seismic interpretation and visualisation facility supports research into diverse aspects of sedimentary basins, with emphasis on continental margins, environmental aspects of oil and gas, and CCS (carbon capture and sequestration).
We apply 3D seismic technology to the analysis of depositional and deformational processes, focused around the following research themes:
- Fluid flow in the lithosphere, with emphasis on ‘sustainable’ energy sources – hydrocarbons, gas hydrates, geothermal energy and carbon capture and sequestration.
- Fault mechanics, salt tectonics and their relationship to subsurface fluid flow.
- Tectonic-stratigraphy of sedimentary basins, with emphasis on rift basins evolution and on the syn-rift to post-rift transitions on continental margins.
- Marine geological processes at multiple scales of observation. Palaeoceanography of ancient oceans and seaways.
- Mass-wasting processes on continental margins and their end-products, research done in close collaboration with the IODP-Integrated Ocean Drilling Program.
- Environmental impacts of hydrocarbon exploration and production, oil spill modelling and mitigation.
The 3D seismic laboratory has developed and built up strong links with industry sponsors, most notably in the Oil and Gas Industry. We have datasets in the following locations:
- Caspian Sea
- Cyprus/Eastern Mediterranean
- Equatorial Brazil
- New Zealand
- SE Brazil
- The Netherlands
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
- West Africa
Our sponsors and data providers include:
|Badley Geoscience Limited
|British Geological Survey
|Geological Society of London
|Integrated Ocean Drilling Program (IODP)
|Partex Oil and Gas
|Schlumberger Information Solutions
|Southwest Research Institute (SWRI)
|The Natural Environment Research Council