Ewch i’r prif gynnwys

Information you will need for your application

Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.

Last updated: 23/08/2023 13:16

To apply for your Student visa, you'll need to provide the following pieces of information.

Your CAS number is your unique reference number which you will need to include in your visa application. Your CAS will be emailed to you and is not required in paper copy.

The CAS email will include:

  • your personal details
  • the qualification(s) upon which your offer was based
  • details of your course
  • our address
  • our sponsor licence number: NB0C74WCX

To get your CAS email you must have:

  • passed all your exams and sent us copies of your qualifications or transcripts required as part of your offer
  • accepted an unconditional offer for a course at Cardiff University
  • paid your deposit (if applicable)
  • checked that all the information on your CAS email is correct.

Before you are sent your final CAS, we will email you and ask you to check that all the details on your CAS are correct on the Online Applicant Service. Make sure the following are correct:

  • your personal details - for example, that your name is exactly as it appears on your passport
  • all the details of the qualifications shown in the evidence section of the CAS
  • details of the course that you are coming to study at Cardiff University
  • course duration
  • any tuition fee payment that you have made to the University is recorded on the CAS.

Your CAS email must not be more than six months old when you apply for your student visa. If you use it after this date, your application will be refused.

You will not be emailed your final CAS until you have checked your CAS online. Take time to check your CAS carefully and make the corrections on the Online Applicant Service (SIMS online).

It takes time to change your CAS after it has been issued, and your visa application could be delayed or even rejected if your CAS is wrong. No changes can be made to the CAS once your visa application is submitted.

If you require any changes or have any questions at this stage, please contact the Student Visa Compliance Team via our web form.

This must be completed online. Select 'Student Visa'.

To read the guidance notes and download paper application forms, visit the GOV.UK website.

Download our guide ‘How to complete the OVERSEAS online Student Route Visa Application Form’.

For your Student visa application, you will need to submit your transcripts, certificates, and references showing that you have satisfied the entry requirements for your course at Cardiff University.

Your CAS will list the qualifications you need to submit. Please see the evidence section.

You need to show that you have a certain amount of money to cover your tuition fees and living costs in order to get a Student visa.

Please see our relevant ATAS page for more information.

ATAS clearance is required for postgraduate qualifications (taught and research) in certain science, engineering or technological disciplines but also includes some enhanced undergraduate courses such as MEng.

ATAS requirement will be stated in your offer letter and on your CAS. The relevant Common Aggregation Hierarchy (CAH) code can be found on your offer letter.

Please contact your academic school if you are unsure of your CAH code.

ATAS application take 30 working days to process and can take longer. There is no process to expedite applications. Please apply early. You do not need to wait for your CAS to apply and the information needed for ATAS application will be stated on your offer letter.

Residents from some countries are required to obtain a certificate confirming they are free from infectious TB before applying for a visa.

For more information see our vaccinations and health checks page and the Home Office information page.

You will need to send your passport with your student visa application. Please check that it is valid on the date you intend to travel to the UK.

If you will need to extend your passport during your time in the UK, please check with your embassy that you are able to do so and the timeframes and costs for this.


If any of the documents (for example, references, qualifications, transcripts, and bank statements) you are submitting are not in English, then you must also include a fully certified translation by a professional translator.

As part of your visa application, you will need to visit a visa application centre to have your fingerprints and photograph taken.

The immigration health surcharge is a financial contribution to the UK's National Health Service (NHS). Find out more about this on our medical insurance page.

You will be required to pay this as part of your visa application and will not be able to proceed without it. This fee is payable even if you opt to take out private health insurance.

Contact us

Cefnogi a Lles Myfyrwyr (Cathays)