PhD research scholarships
If you are looking to study on a doctoral programme, funding is available from both the university and external organisations.
China Scholarship Council
The China Scholarship Council (CSC) predominantly funds Chinese university students to study overseas for PhD degrees in the fields of science and technology, but will also consider disciplines in the humanities. CSC awards typically cover airfares and living costs for up to four years.
Cardiff University is offering tuition fee scholarships to successful China Scholarship Council students who are not currently enrolled on a PhD programme.
Applications for 2023 entry are now closed. Applications to start in October 2024 will open in October 2023.
How to apply
This cycle of applications relates to start dates from October 2023. Applications should be made in accordance with CSC guidance.
There are four steps to applying.
1. Apply to Cardiff University by 5 January 2023 to study for your chosen PhD.
Please note: clinical programmes are not eligible for this scheme.
Please complete the standard Cardiff University PhD application form, noting the additional requirements listed below. We advise you to apply in advance of the deadline.
In addition to the standard application form, applicants should also:
- Attach an academic CV. Further guidance on academic CVs can be found on the Vitae website.
- Ensure the personal statement (part of the university application form) provides a clear explanation of the research interest, preparation undertaken, and an understanding of the significance of the research. Further guidance can be found on the Vitae website.
- Select ‘No, I am not self-funding my research’ when prompted on the university application form.
- When asked ‘Please give the name of funding you are applying for’, enter the ‘Cardiff University China Scholarship Council’.
2. Your school will shortlist applicants to nominate to the university panel. Schools will need to make their nominations by 30 January 2023. To be nominated, you must have an offer of study and meet the school selection criteria.
3. If you are awarded a tuition fee only scholarship by the university panel, you will be issued with a tuition fee only scholarship letter. If you accept the offer, you then need to apply to the China Scholarship Council (CSC) via the Cardiff University partnership portal. This will open around March.
4. Cardiff University will send a list of those who have accepted the tuition only scholarships to the CSC, who will match this with applications received via the partnership portal. The CSC panel will then award scholarships. The tuition fee only scholarship is only valid if you also receive the CSC scholarship.
If you have any queries about the China Scholarship Council fund, please get in touch with the Doctoral Academy using the contact details below.
Commonwealth Scholarship Programme
Commonwealth Scholarships are a joint initiative between the UK government-funded Commonwealth Scholarship Commission and UK universities, in which Cardiff University is proud to be a partner.