PhD Research Scholarships
If you are looking to study on a Doctoral programme, funding is available from both the University and external organisations.
China Scholarship Council
The China Scholarship Council (CSC) predominantly funds Chinese university students to study overseas for PhD degrees in the fields of science and technology, but will also consider disciplines in the humanities. CSC awards typically cover air fares and living costs for up to four years.
Cardiff University is offering a number of 3-year tuition fee only scholarships to successful China Scholarship Council students who are not currently enrolled on a PhD programme.
Applications for 2022 entry are now open – Deadline 5 January 2022.
How to apply
This cycle of applications relates to start dates from October 2022. Applications should be made in accordance with CSC guidance.
There are four steps to applying.
1. Apply to Cardiff University by 5 January 2022 to study for your chosen PhD:
Please complete the standard Cardiff University PhD application form, noting the additional requirements listed below. We advise you apply in advance of the deadline. You can submit your evidence of your English Language proficiency after the application deadline.
In addition to the standard application form, applicants should also:
- Attach an Academic CV. Further guidance on academic CVs can be found at Vitae.
- Ensure the Personal Statement (part of the University application form) provides a clear explanation of the research interest, preparation undertaken, and an understanding of the significance of the research. Further guidance can be found at Vitae.
- Select ‘No, I am not self-funding my research’ when prompted on the University application form.
- When asked ‘Please give the name of funding you are applying for’, enter the ‘Cardiff University China Scholarship Council’.
2. Your School will shortlist applicants to nominate to the University panel. Schools will need to make their nominations by 25 January 2022. To be nominated, you must have an offer of study, met the School selection criteria and met the English Language requirements.
3. If you are awarded a tuition fee only scholarship by the University panel, you will be issued with a tuition fee only scholarship letter. If you accept the offer, you then need to apply via the Cardiff University partnership portal. This will open around March.
4. Cardiff University will send a list of those who have accepted the tuition only scholarships to CSC, who match this with applications received via the CSC Cardiff University partnership portal. The CSC panel will award scholarships. The tuition fee only scholarship is only valid if you also receive the CSC scholarship.
If you have any queries about the China Scholarship Council fund, please get in touch:
Commonwealth Scholarship Programme
Commonwealth Scholarships are a joint initiative between the UK government-funded Commonwealth Scholarship Commission and UK universities, which Cardiff University is proud to be a partner.