Skip to main content

Graduate Visa Route

The UK Government has announced a new post-study work visa scheme, expanding opportunities for talented international students to build successful careers in the UK. This new visa route will be open for applications  from 1 July 2021.

Known as the 'Graduate Route', this visa will be available to students who have completed an undergraduate or postgraduate course at a recognised UK higher education provider, allowing them to work, or look for work, in any career or position of their choice.

Students who began their studies in autumn 2020, or in spring 2021 will need to be in the UK with permission as a student, by 27 September 2021. Students beginning their course this autumn or early next year will need to be in the UK by 6 April 2022 in order to be eligible to apply to the Graduate route.

  • Graduates on this visa will be eligible to remain in the UK for two years.
  • PhD students on this visa will be able to stay in the UK for three years.

After the given work period, students will be able to switch onto a skilled work visa if they find a job which meets the skill requirement of the route.

At present, the following students are not eligible to apply for the Graduate Route:

  • Students who graduate on a programme that is different to that for which their original CAS was issued – please consider this if you wish to transfer programmes.
  • Students on articulation agreements.

Contact us

If you have any questions about your eligibility or require visa advice, please contact:

Student Visa Support enquiries

Contact us through Student Connect

Information on this page is correct as of July 2021. For the most up to date information, please visit UKCISA.