Skip to main content

Specialist support services

Last updated: 09/08/2022 14:30

If you're recommended a specialist support service as a reasonable adjustment by the Student Disability Service or following your DSA needs assessment, our in-house service is here to support you.

Support worker service

We have a team of support workers who can work with you to assist with a range of study-related activities, such as:

  • note-taking in lectures
  • orientation and mobility support around campus
  • assistance in laboratory and practical classes
  • Library support

Specialist study skills tuition

We have a team of specialist study skills tutors who provide specialist study skills support for students whose studies are impacted. The support our tutors offer is focused on developing study skills in the following areas:

  • organisational and time management
  • note-taking and writing techniques
  • effective research
  • academic writing
  • reading fluency and efficiency
  • spelling and grammar
  • revision and memory strategies
  • independent learning.

Specialist mentoring service

Our specialist mentors provide support to manage your study-related needs that may be affected by the impact of your mental health condition. The support our mentors offer is focused on developing study skills in the following areas:

  • procrastination
  • perfectionism
  • motivation
  • time management and organisation
  • independent learning
  • coping with change.

External services

If you require other specialist services that are unavailable to you through the DSA, such as British Sign Language (BSL), then we will support you with the funding and access to these services.

Your Disability Adviser may also recommend services that DSA does not fund. If this happens, the University will cover the support cost for you.

If external providers have recommended services to you, you will need to liaise with the provider directly. If you have difficulties contacting the provider or arranging this provision, please let us know as we can support you with this.

Contact us

Student Disability Service