The School of Chemistry has developed a particular strength in Organic Synthesis, with a research group dedicated to this exciting area of study. As part of the Chemistry (PhD/MPhil) programme, students can conduct their research within this group.
To offer knowledge and expertise for a career in the pharmaceuticals and fine chemical sectors, teaching, biomedical research fields, research and managerial roles in general manufacturing industry (eg. food, cosmetics, petrochemical etc).
- The School has undergone extensive restructuring in the last few years and occupies newly refurbished laboratories with excellent facilities for research and teaching.
- Organic Chemistry continues to attract an expanding team of researchers, as well as maintaining an extensive network of industrial contacts.
- Strong interdisciplinary collaborations support projects across traditional subject divisions; postgraduates interact across these groups.
- New facilities for synthetic and catalytic chemistry, including an advanced pressurereaction suite for catalyst development and investigation.
- Extensive international collaborations; a number of research programmes allow placements abroad, including in Europe and America.
Dr Ben Ward
- Telephone:+44(0)29 2087 0302
Each year the School of Chemistry welcomes applicants who have secured funding from external sponsors, or who are self-funded.
We have an extensive list of projects that are available. Details for each project can be obtained by contacting the member of academic staff directly. Please state which project(s) you would like to be considered for on your application form.
In the first instance, you should submit a CV & Covering Letter to the project supervisor detailing which projects you would like to be considered for.
Formal applications should then be submitted via Cardiff University's Online Application Service. In the research proposal section of your application, please specify the project title and supervisors of this project.
In answer to the question ‘How do you plan to fund your studies?’, please specify the details and upload any documents providing the evidence (for example: letter of confirmation of scholarship).