Academi Gymraeg Betty Campbell Scholarship
The Betty Campbell Scholarship offers to fund up to £1,000 to eligible students studying through the medium of Welsh.
The scholarship is open to all students who are studying 20 credits or more through the medium of Welsh and we particularly encourage students who may face obstacles or uncertainty with respect to studying through the medium of Welsh at University level.
In naming this new award for 2023, we aim to pay tribute to a remarkable individual for whom inclusivity was inherent to all her work in education and who dedicated her life to fighting inequality. We aim to ensure that her values, and her enthusiasm for Wales, its history and culture as part of Cardiff’s global story are an inspiration for our work in Yr Academi Gymraeg.
To be eligible for the scholarship you must:
- be studying 20 credits or more through the medium of Welsh
- complete the application form by the required deadlines following the guidelines below.
Students can apply for the scholarship in any year of undergraduate study. You can apply for the scholarship before making your module choices if you know that your course offers modules through the medium of Welsh.
Find out more about the courses you can study through the medium of Welsh.
All students are welcome to apply and we particularly encourage applications from students with the following characteristics:
- Black, Asian, minority ethnic individuals
- a low-income background
- first in the family to speak and write Welsh fluently
The University will award up to eight full (3 year) scholarships each year.
Awards will be up to a maximum of £1,000 per year:
- £500 for 20 credits of Welsh medium study
- £1,000 for 40 credits of Welsh medium study
More than anything, we want you to make the most of your studies, and enjoy being part of the Welsh-speaking and broader student community at Cardiff University. We encourage all students to participate in extra-curricular student opportunities to enhance the learning experience and to be best prepared for whatever you decide to do after your studies are complete.
Students who receive this scholarship will be given support to explore opportunities to contribute to the work of Academi Gymraeg, or engage with other Welsh language Student Ambassador roles.
Students must complete Welsh language modules to be eligible for scholarship funds in the following academic year.
Students will be offered support from the Academi Gymraeg, in addition to a personal tutor associated with their course.
To apply for the scholarship you must complete the application form and include a written statement of up to 500 words responding to two or more of the following questions:
- What does the Welsh language mean to you?
- Why is it important to you to be part of the Welsh-speaking community at Cardiff University?
- How do you think being part of the Welsh-speaking community at Cardiff University will enhance your university experience?
- What is the main challenge for you to study through the medium of Welsh and how might you overcome that challenge?
- Why is it important that you complete part or all of your studies through the medium of Welsh?
2023 applications will open soon. Links to the application form will be published on this page.
For more information about the Betty Campbell Scholarship please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org