Student Mentor Scheme
Many students coming to university will go through a transitional period. They may have to adapt to new ways of learning and teaching, living away from home or commuting to university.
The Student Mentor Scheme helps new students with this transition. If you are a first year undergraduate you will have access to a student mentor from your School.
Mentors can help with academic and non-academic queries or concerns you have, including:
- helping you settle into student life and orientate the University and city
- opportunities to meet other students from your course
- referencing, note taking and what to expect from your course and Academic School
- Students’ Union activities, clubs and societies to get involved in
- using Turnitin, Learning Central and referencing, and helping prepare for exams.
Mentors offer support, including:
- insider tips on surviving the first year at university and student life specific to your School
- ideas on the different opportunities you can get involved in around campus
- giving relevant, recent and reliable advice, which they have been trained to provide
- answering the questions you really want to ask
- advice on accessing specialist support services.
The benefits of being a mentor
Students who choose to become a mentor develop important employability skills.
All our student mentors receive full training, are supported throughout their work and are presented with a Cardiff University certificate at the celebration event later in the year. We have an active mentor community with nearly 800 students participating in the scheme.
In a competitive job market graduates need to be able to demonstrate transferable skills. This is a wonderful opportunity to develop, enhance and evidence those skills.
Evidence of a student mentor’s voluntary work will appear on their Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR) and can also count towards the University’s employability award, the Cardiff Award.
Previous student mentors have claimed that being part of the scheme has enhanced skills such as:
- time management
It's also a great way to increase your confidence.