Student Mentor Scheme
Cardiff University Student Mentor Scheme Please note: this film was recorded before social distancing came into place.
The Student Mentor Scheme helps new students to settle into university life.
Many students coming to university will go through a transitional period. If you’re new to the University, you might have to adapt to new ways of learning and teaching, living away from home or commuting to university.
If you’re a first year undergraduate, you will have access to a student mentor from your Academic School.
Mentors can help you with academic and non-academic queries or concerns, including:
- answering your questions about the University and your Academic School
- providing you with opportunities to get to know other students from your course
- giving insider tips on how to stay motivated, manage your time and get the most out of your studies
- providing a student’s perspective on the Students’ Union, what there is to do here and how to enjoy being a Cardiff University student
- guiding you on how to use the various IT platforms, including Learning Central, Turnitin, and the University and Students' Union apps
- giving you a student’s guide to what to expect from your course, and tips on note taking, referencing, using the libraries and how to approach coursework and exams
- providing life hacks on where to shop, eat and relax, and the opportunities the University and Students' Union provide
- giving guidance on the support you can access – everything from registering with a GP to accessing wellbeing and support services, to getting involved in student life
- answering the questions you really want to ask and giving a student perspective.