Starting university may be your first experience of living away from home in a different city. We understand this can be equally exciting and challenging, that's why our Residence Life team are here to help you settle in.
The Residence Life team brings a fun and friendly community to your university student accommodation with an exciting blended calendar of social events, drop-in sessions and helpful workshops throughout the year.
We run free events across all student accommodation, most feature free refreshments and all offer the opportunity to meet new people and chat to our Residence Life Assistants (current students who have lived in halls of residence).
We also provide support to anyone who is struggling to transition to university life. Our team of Residence Life Assistants can offer advice based on their own experience and signpost to any relevant university services that can help you.
Find us on Instagram and see for yourself how we are supporting students in Cardiff University accommodation.
Our commitment to you
We are committed to ensuring that you have the best possible time in student accommodation and we will work with you and your fellow students to:
- provide a warm welcome and encourage a smooth transition to university
- build a community focused culture that gives you a sense of belonging and inclusion
- bring students together through events that enhance your learning and skills, provide practical support for your student life, as well as social and cultural activities
- promote positive living behaviours and address inappropriate conduct
- provide peer to peer support and signposting to specialist support
- identify and support vulnerable students and manage crisis situations
- connect your learning and living experience.
If you are living in university accommodation you can join us for fun and informative activities, such as:
- global holiday celebrations including Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Chinese New Year
- life skills workshops including how to cook, budget and live communally
- drop-ins across the halls for peer support, advice and a friendly cup of tea
- awareness raising campaigns
- developing halls communities to represent your student voice
- opportunities for developing your personal passions with practical skills, lessons and training.
We run both online and in-person events and you can request an online or in-person appointment with a member of staff to discuss any issues you may have while living in halls.
We are based at Talybont Social Centre, but you can chat to the Residence Life Assistants at any student accommodation in the evenings, Monday to Thursday and all day Saturday and Sunday.