Health and wellbeing
University life can be full of ups and downs, and throughout your time here you may need someone to talk to. We have a range of support available to help you to look after your physical and mental wellbeing.
Based in the Centre for Student Life (Cathays Campus), Cardigan House (Heath Park Campus) and through Student Connect, we are available to help if you are experiencing personal, emotional or psychological difficulties, or just interested in living a healthier lifestyle.
How can we support you?
Our Counselling and Wellbeing Practitioners offer a wide range of support, including:
- self-help resources: information and self-help techniques via the intranet for a wide range of health and wellbeing matters that may impact your student life
- peer support: Wellbeing Champions are students who are trained to provide support and signposting to fellow students, in confidence. Talk Campus is an online, peer support community where you can connect with other students who may have had similar experiences and can relate to what you might be going through.
- workshops, courses and groups: we run a wide range of wellbeing workshops, guided self-help courses and therapeutic groups throughout the year, intended to support you with specific difficulties
- wellbeing drop-ins: these offer an opportunity to speak with a Wellbeing Practitioner briefly for same-day advice and signposting, without the need to book in advance
- one-to-one therapy appointments: our Wellbeing Practitioners and Counsellors are trained in a range of therapeutic approaches and provide initial consultations and short-term ongoing support, taking a holistic approach to providing psychological and practical support, based on your needs
- trans and non-binary support: our Trans Support Advisers offer practical support and advice for any student undergoing transition or wishing to transition whilst at University.
Where can you find us?
Our team offers both in-person and online support (using webcam, instant messaging or email), based on your preference. It is also possible to switch to a different medium for your support as desired.
We can also refer you for urgent support and help you with finding specialist support if this is needed.
Our occupational health team based at Heath Park campus provide support to healthcare students in preparation for your course and placements.