Skip to main content

Advice and money

Getting on top of your finances can feel a bit overwhelming, but there are lots of ways we can support you and still make sure you enjoy student life to the fullest.

You might be experienced at managing your money already or this could be the first time that you have had to think about your finances, from paying rent to sorting out funding.

We want to make sure that you make the most of your university experience, so we're on hand to help with top tips, advice and information on the practical issues such as: funding, money management, housing advice and visas while you study.


Dedicated contact for additional support

Additional support is available if you are a student who is a care leaver, estranged from your family, carer, veteran or asylum seeker.


Student visa support

Every year we help transport hundreds of international students from London Heathrow to their Cardiff accommodation, to make the transition to the UK a little easier.


NHS funding

We can help with funding for full-time or part-time studies, including NHS funding for healthcare students.

Money support

We provide information about money management and financial wellbeing while being a student. This includes information about personal budgeting and help to identify any additional funding you could apply for such as:

  • university scholarships and bursaries for UK students
  • the Financial Assistance Programme (hardship fund) – which can help with unexpected short term financial problems (terms and conditions apply)
  • information about a range of trusts and charities.

We also administer the US Federal loan scheme within the university.

Student funding and advice

We are here to help you understand UK funding for all courses to ensure you get your full funding entitlement as a student. This includes:

  • full-time and part-time
  • undergraduate and postgraduate
  • courses funded by the NHS
  • year abroad
  • placement year.

We’re on hand to help you with any difficulties you may have with funding bodies and if you encounter any problems, we may be able to liaise with your funding body to resolve these.

Student visa support

If you’re an international student, we provide bespoke guidance and information to support you settling into life in Cardiff. This includes:

  • induction events and activities to help international students settle into life at Cardiff University and the UK more generally
  • UKVI immigration rules/conditions on your Student Visa (Tier 4 (General) and Short Term study visa) including the implications of making a change to study (eg, withdrawal, interruption of study, transfer)
  • EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) and EU student visa options post Brexit
  • submitting visa extension applications for students and their dependants
  • immigration rules for working in the UK during your studies
  • visiting Schengen countries
  • post study work visa options available to international students.

Where to find us

We are based in the Centre for Student Life (Cathays Campus).

Our friendly team offers both in-person and online support, and we have bookable appointments available during weekdays to help support you and provide free and impartial advice.

Appointments can be booked via the Student Connect Portal.

Get in touch

Student Connect

For help with US federal loans, please contact:

US Federal Loans