Skip to main content

Research Councils

The seven Research Councils in the UK provide government funding for postgraduate study for UK and EU students directly to research organisations, including Cardiff University.

This funding is not normally available for students outside of the EU.

The Research Councils administer their studentships through universities that have proven records of excellent postgraduate training undertaken in a context of world-class research.

We are the lead partner in the Economic and Social Research (ESRC) Wales Doctoral Training Centre, and are involved in a range of other Doctoral Training Partnerships, Centres for Doctoral Training and individual industrial partnerships.

We have studentships available from:

PhD studentships will also be listed in our funding and scholarship search as they become available.

"I have been lucky enough to secure funding for both my MA and PhD from the Arts and Humanities Research Council. I found that both my department and the University were encouraging yet honest and very helpful throughout both application processes. Do not be disheartened by the potential competition and difficulties, there are many routes through which you can acquire funding and in most instances you can apply again during the course of your studies."

Julia Best, PhD Avian Osteoarchaeology

Follow us on Twitter or Facebook if you want to be kept up-to-date with any funding opportunities at Cardiff University.

A full award typically consists of payment of home tuition fees plus a stipend to cover living costs. A stipend is tax-free. Research Councils UK publishes the national minimum doctoral stipend for their awards.

If you are a UK student (for fees calculation purposes) or an EU student who has lived in the UK for three years prior to the start of your course (including for educational purposes) you are eligible for the full award (ie fees and stipend).

Application deadlines vary, investigating your options early is advisable. PhD studentships with their deadlines will also be listed in our funding and scholarship search as they become available.

The application process varies but you will usually need to apply directly to the university. Full details of how to apply will be listed in our funding and scholarship search.

Additional information is available on the UK Research and Innovation website.