Skip to main content

UK Government master’s funding

If you are starting your master’s degree in September 2022 or later, you may be able to apply for UK Government postgraduate funding to support your study at Cardiff University.

If you receive funding under this scheme you may still be eligible for our Master’s Excellence Scholarships.

Key facts

  • If you’re a Welsh student starting a postgraduate master’s course, for 2022 entry you could receive up to a maximum of £18,430 as a combination of a grant and loan, depending on your household income.
  • This support is available for full standalone postgraduate Master’s courses such as an MSc, MA, MPhil, MRes, LLM, MLitt, MFA, MED or MBA.
  • Courses can be full-time, lasting one or two academic years, part-time, lasting two, three or four academic years, and studied at a university or college, or by distance learning.
  • You will get the first payment when you start your course, and your university confirms the course you are studying. Payments will be made in three instalments of 33%, 33% and 34% for each academic year.


  • You must normally live in Wales, and not have moved there for the purposes of study.
  • you must be a uk national, have 'settled status' (that means no restrictions on how long you can stay in the UK) or have section 67 leave to enter or remain in the UK as eligible students
  • You must be aged under 60 on the first academic year of the course.
  • This funding is only available if you don’t already hold a Master’s degree or other higher qualification gained either in the UK or overseas
  • This support is not available for the following:
    • integrated master’s courses
    • Master of Architecture (MArch) qualification full-time
    • postgraduate doctoral degrees
    • master’s degrees that are undertaken as part of a Postgraduate Doctoral degree
    • Postgraduate Certificate (PgCert) or Postgraduate Diploma (PgDip)
    • if students are receiving a healthcare or social work bursary from any of the following - NHS, Department of Health, Social Services and Public Safety, Student Awards Agency Scotland or the Care Council Wales.

You can find the full eligibility criteria and further information, including how to apply and repayment details, on the Student Finance Wales Website.

If you are from another part of the UK but you are currently living in Wales while you study, you will not be eligible for the Welsh Master’s support package but may be eligible under a scheme from your home nation.

Key facts

  • For the 2022-23 academic year, this loan is worth £11,836.
  • The amount you will get is not based on your income or your family’s.
  • Available for postgraduate master’s degrees across all subject areas, including MSc, MA, MBA, MPH, MTh, LLM, MPhil and MRes in all subject areas, but not available for the Master in Architecture (MArch), Postgraduate Diplomas (PgDip) and Postgraduate Certificates (PgCert).
  • Available for full-time, part-time and distance learning courses.
  • A course can be:
    • full-time, lasting 1 or 2 academic years.
    • part-time, lasting 2 to 4 academic years - no more than twice the length of the equivalent full-time course.
    • part-time for up to 3 years, where no equivalent full-time course exists.


  • You must be a UK national (or an individual with settled status in the UK) and have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for three years on the first day of the first academic year of the course.
  • You must have a permanent home address in England, but you can have been elsewhere for temporary absences, such as for travelling and education, including for the purpose of completing an undergraduate degree.
  • You must be aged under 60 on the first day of the academic year of the course.
  • You would not be eligible if you already possess a master's or doctoral degree or another higher level degree, this includes integrated master's degrees such as MEng, MChem and MPharm and even qualifications achieved outside the UK but does not include Postgraduate Diplomas and Postgraduate Certificates.

You can find the full eligibility criteria and further information, including how to apply and repayment details, on the website.

Information on how to apply is available on the Student Awards Agency Scotland website.

Information on how to apply is available on the nidirect government services website.