Alumni Discount Scheme
The alumni discount is available for all master’s programmes in Cardiff Business School, as well as conversion courses in subjects including journalism, geography and planning, and creative writing, and master's programmes in clinical optometry, neuroimaging, education, global cultures, history, philosophy and translation.
The alumni discount will be awarded as a reduction in tuition fees of £1,000 for home students, and £2,000 for international and European students. If you are eligible then the discount will be automatically applied when you start your studies.
This is a pilot scheme and does not include all master’s programmes offered at Cardiff University. This will be reviewed after two years.
The alumni discount is available to any Cardiff University graduate progressing to one of the eligible programmes who has completed one of the following:
- an undergraduate degree awarded by Cardiff University
- an inbound Erasmus or Study abroad scheme at Cardiff University
- a credit-bearing Cardiff University International Summer School
- a National Qualification to become a Welsh for Adults tutor.
To be eligible you must be progressing to a higher-level qualification than the one you already hold.
You will need to hold an offer for entry to study at Cardiff University on one of the following eligible programmes, full-time or part-time.
These master’s programmes are included in the alumni discount pilot scheme:
Biomedical and Life Sciences programmes
Cardiff Business School postgraduate taught programmes
- Accounting and Finance (MSc)
- Business Administration (MBA)
- Business Administration with Media (MBA)
- Business Management (MSc)
- Business Management with a Professional Placement Year (MSc)
- Business Strategy and Entrepreneurship (MSc)
- Economics (MSc)
- Executive Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Finance (MSc)
- Financial Economics (MSc)
- Human Resource Management (MSc)
- International Economics, Banking and Finance (MSc)
- International Management (MSc)
- Logistics and Operations Management (MSc)
- Maritime Policy and Shipping Management (MSc)
- Marketing (MSc)
- Public Leadership (MSc)
- Strategic Marketing (MSc)
- Sustainable Supply Chain Management (MSc)
- Broadcast Journalism (MA)
- Computational and Data Journalism (MSc)
- Conservation Practice (MSc)
- Creative writing (MA)
- International Journalism (MA)
- International Planning and Development (MSc)
- International Public Relations and Global Communications Management (MA)
- Magazine Journalism (MA)
- News Journalism (MA)
- Political Communication (MA)
- Spatial Planning and Development (MSc)
- Welsh and Celtic Studies (MA)
Master's programmes in Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
Programmes not included
As this is a pilot scheme, not all postgraduate taught programmes offered at Cardiff University are included. Applicants to programmes not listed in the eligible programmes section are not eligible for discount. The pilot will be reviewed after two years before a decision is made on any potential continuation or expansion of the scheme.
You are eligible for an alumni discount even if you receive:
If you are an international or European student then you will only be eligible for the alumni discount in addition to a Vice-Chancellor’s International Scholarship or European scholarship if those combined don’t exceed £5,000 in total support from Cardiff University.
How to apply
There is no formal application process for the alumni discount pilot scheme. We will assess whether you are eligible for the discount as part of your application to study a postgraduate taught course at Cardiff University. If you're eligible, then the appropriate tuition fee discount will then be applied automatically and you will be notified.
Terms and conditions
- The alumni discount will take the form of a tuition fee discount and no monies will be paid directly to you. This will reduce the amount payable to the University. The remainder of the tuition fee is then payable according to our tuition fee policy
- The alumni discount amount is £1,000 for home students and £2,000 for international and European students and available only for one of the listed eligible postgraduate taught programmes
- You are expected to fund the remaining balance of your studies from other sources
- For programmes with a duration of two or more years (including part-time study), you will receive the full discount in your first year. If you don’t complete your programme then you may need to repay an amount of the discount awarded. For the MSc Clinical Optometry part-time route, you will only be entitled to the discount if you state your intention to complete the full MSc when you begin your studies.
- There is no cash substitute, transfer facility or any other variation from the tuition fee discount
- You are liable for all other costs associated with your study
- You are expected to commence your studies at Cardiff University in academic year 2021/22.
- You will be subject to, and must comply fully with, Cardiff University’s rules and regulations, together with all academic and other terms and conditions associated with your study programme.
- You will need to pay the remainder of your tuition fee according to our tuition fee policy.
- You will be asked to participate in public relations and ambassadorial activities on a voluntary basis during your time at Cardiff University. These may include (but are not limited to) interviews, photo opportunities and attendance at events, but will not interfere with your studies.
If you are not sure about your eligibility for the alumni discount scheme or have any queries, please contact our postgraduate team for further information.