Alumni Discount Scheme
The alumni discount is available for Cardiff University graduates who are planning to start an eligible master's programme in 2022/23.
The discount provides a reduction in tuition fees of £1,000 for home students, and £2,000 for international and European students. If you are eligible then the discount will be automatically applied when you start your studies.
The alumni discount is available to any Cardiff University graduate progressing an eligible master's programme who has completed one of the following:
- an undergraduate degree awarded by Cardiff University
- an inbound Erasmus or Study abroad scheme at Cardiff University
- a credit-bearing Cardiff University International Summer School
- a National Qualification to become a Welsh for Adults tutor.
To be eligible you must be progressing to a higher-level qualification than the one you already hold.
You will need to hold an offer for entry to study at Cardiff University on one of the eligible programmes, full-time or part-time.
Only complete full-time and part-time postgraduate taught programmes that lead to a master’s degree are included within the alumni discount scheme:
- Full-time programme leading to a taught master’s degree
- Part-time programme leading to a taught master’s degree
- MRes Biosciences
- MRes Stem Cell Neurobiology
If you are studying your programme part-time, you will receive the full discount in your first year of study.
Programmes not included
The following programmes are not included so aren't eligible for an alumni discount:
- Distance learning programmes
- Taught programmes leading to a graduate diploma (GDip), postgraduate certificate (PgCert) or postgraduate diploma (PgDip)
- Research degrees that lead to a master in Philosophy (MPhil).
If you already possess a Postgraduate Certificate or Diploma and are now progressing onto the master’s stage of the degree, you would also not be eligible.
Other than the MRes in Biosciences or Stem Cell Neurobiology, postgraduate research programmes that lead to the award of an MPhil, are not eligible for scholarship.
You are eligible for an alumni discount even if you receive:
You will not be eligible for the alumni discount if you are in receipt of funding (consisting of either tuition fees or tuition fees and living costs) from an external body which will be invoiced by the University for fees (such as Government, charity or a private organisation) you are not eligible for the alumni discount. Students in receipt of educational loans are eligible for the award.
If you are an international or European student then you will only be eligible for the alumni discount in addition to other university funded scholarships if the combined value does not exceed £5,000.
How to apply
There is no formal application process for the alumni discount scheme. We will assess whether you are eligible for the discount as part of your application to study a postgraduate taught course at Cardiff University. If you're eligible, then the appropriate tuition fee discount will then be applied automatically and you will be notified.
Terms and conditions
- The alumni discount will take the form of a tuition fee discount and no monies will be paid directly to you. This will reduce the amount payable to the University. The remainder of the tuition fee is then payable according to our tuition fee policy
- The alumni discount amount is £1,000 for home students and £2,000 for international and European students and available only for one of the listed eligible postgraduate taught programmes
- You are expected to fund the remaining balance of your studies from other sources
- The alumni discount is only available to self-funded students
- If you are in receipt of funding (consisting of either tuition fees or tuition fees and living costs) from an external body which will be invoiced by the University for fees (such as Government, charity or a private organisation) you are not eligible for the alumni discount. Students in receipt of educational loans are eligible for the award
- If you are in receipt of funding (consisting of either scholarships or discounts) from the university the maximum combined value cannot exceed £5000.
- For programmes with a duration of two or more years (including part-time study), you will receive the full discount in your first year. If you don’t complete your programme then you may need to repay an amount of the discount awarded. For the MSc Clinical Optometry part-time route, you will only be entitled to the discount if you state your intention to complete the full MSc when you begin your studies.
- There is no cash substitute, transfer facility or any other variation from the tuition fee discount
- You are liable for all other costs associated with your study
- You are expected to commence your studies at Cardiff University in academic year 2022/23.
- You will be subject to, and must comply fully with, Cardiff University’s rules and regulations, together with all academic and other terms and conditions associated with your study programme.
- You will need to pay the remainder of your tuition fee according to our tuition fee policy.
- You will be asked to participate in public relations and ambassadorial activities on a voluntary basis during your time at Cardiff University. These may include (but are not limited to) interviews, photo opportunities and attendance at events, but will not interfere with your studies.
If you are not sure about your eligibility for the alumni discount scheme or have any queries, please contact our postgraduate team for further information.