Skip to main content

Student ID card

Due to the current situation with coronavirus (COVID-19) the following arrangements may change at short notice. We would advise that you regularly review these pages until you have collected your student ID card.

Your student ID card offers proof of identity, library and e-learning access and the ability to gain entry to University buildings.

Your student ID card is valid for the duration of your study, and you must carry it on University premises.

Collecting your student ID card is a mandatory step in the enrolment process. If you are attending campus, you will need to pick up your card in person within four weeks of the start date of your course (for those courses starting in September 2020). If you are a student on a distance learning course or if you have made an application for remote study in semester one, you must pick up your ID card within 4 weeks of your arrival in the UK (which must be prior to your required attendance date).

Before we can issue your student ID card, you must complete online enrolment. Once you've enrolled, you can visit the Cathays Park or Heath Park collection point (depending on where your course is based) to collect your student card.

Students do not complete enrolment until they have been issued with their Student ID card.

International students

International students will need to bring their relevant identity documents to confirm their right to study so that a student ID card can be issued. Students studying remotely will complete online enrolment but will not be issued a Student ID card until they arrive in the UK. At that point they will need to provide their identity documents so that a right to study check can be completed. If you are an international student, you must have your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

If you attended one of the student ID card events in the Great Hall between 28 September and 16 October 2020, and you did not have your BRP, you may have been issued a short-term (temporary) student ID card.

You will need to present your BRP at one of the student ID card events in November at McKenzie House, Newport Road, Cardiff. These events will take place the weeks commencing:

  • 9 November 2020
  • 23 November 2020

Details will be confirmed shortly, and you will be invited to make a booking to collect a new ID card.

Home or EU students

If you are a Home or EU student, your student funding will not be paid to you, or paid to the University on your behalf, until you have uploaded the required identity documentation and it has been approved by the University. Following this it will only be paid if your student funding application includes the correct University and course details. Find out more about how you receive your student funding.

In order to get a student ID card, you'll need to upload proof of your identity which is used to confirm your Right to Study in the UK. To find out more, please see our list of acceptable documentation.

Please also make sure you have your student number to hand.

You should receive a separate email (around the 21 September 2020) inviting you to book a slot for the collection of your student card at one of the following venues.

Talybont and University Hall Residences

If you are based in one of the Talybont or University Hall Residences we will aim to get your student card distributed to you there. In order to do this you would need to complete online enrolment, upload identity documents and upload a photograph to be used on your student card by 7 September 2020 (again you will receive an email inviting you to complete these).

Cathays and Heath Park based students

Students commencing studies in September/October 2020 should collect their student ID card from the following locations, unless your School have informed you of separately arranged events.

Location Collection dates and times

Students' Union
Great Hall
Park Place
CF10 3AT

Monday 28 September 2020 to Friday 16 October 2020
10:00 to 16:00

Times to be confirmed and a slot will be available for booking. Details to be confirmed.

Outside of these dates, unless otherwise instructed by your School, you can collect your student ID card from the following collection points:

UK and EEA National students

LocationCollection times

The Security Centre
Park Place
CF10 3AT

Monday to Thursday - 09:30 to 16:30
Fridays - 09:30 to 16:00

Student Card Issue
The Cochrane Building (Ground Floor)
Heath Park
CF14 4YU

Monday to Friday - 10:00 to 15:00

If you are attending campus, you have not completed the enrolment process until you have collected your student ID card.

If you're an international student, the University is required under its sponsor licence agreement with the United Kingdom Visa Immigration (UKVI) to report you as 'Not in attendance'.

Under University regulations, failure to collect your student card within four weeks of the start of your course may affect your studies at Cardiff University.

Changing your programme may have an impact on the duration of your study. If you change your programme, you will need to get a new student ID card from one of the student ID card collection points.

If you're on a course that is designated as distance learning, you'll need to complete the student ID card application form and send it to your School office with a passport photograph.

You'll need to make arrangements with your School for its distribution once it has been produced.