Skip to main content

Registering with a doctor

Last updated: 10/08/2023 11:06

Having a General Practitioner (GP) and access to other healthcare professionals in Cardiff means you can easily access care if you need it.

If you spend more weeks of the year at your university address than elsewhere, you need to register with a GP in Cardiff as soon as possible so that you can receive routine and urgent care if you need it.

This is especially important if you have an ongoing health condition, particularly one that needs medicine, such as asthma, diabetes, epilepsy or mental health issues.

If you are registered with a GP in Wales you are entitled to free prescriptions from a pharmacist in Wales.

How to register with a GP

Registering with a GP in Cardiff and the Vale is easy: simply identify a practice close to your university address and contact the practice to see if they are accepting new patients.

To register with a GP, you will need:

  • your town and country of birth
  • your term-time address
  • the address of your previously registered GP practice (if applicable)
  • any recent medical history relating to allergies, medication, vital statistics, lifestyle choices or any diagnosis or ongoing treatment

You may also want to register with a Welsh speaking GP, or a GP who speaks another language. Find out more about practices who are able to offer this facility.

You can also register with a GP using CampusDoctor.

Access to other healthcare professionals

NHS 111 Wales

The NHS 111 Wales service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and you can use it both for health information and advice and to access urgent primary care. The service is an amalgamation of NHS Direct Wales and the GP out-of-hours services and is available online and by telephoning 111.

Within Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan, NHS 111 Wales is also the route you would take if you need to attend the Emergency Unit (often known as A&E), the Minor Injuries Unit or to access out of hours care.

If you have a serious or life-threatening emergency, you should dial 999.

Seeing a pharmacist

Your local pharmacy offers free confidential advice and treatment for a range of common ailments. If you have a minor illness like coughs, colds, diarrhoea or headaches or need advice on medications you can speak to your community pharmacist.

Within Cardiff and Vale, community pharmacists also offer contraception services. Seven community pharmacists are also able to prescribe regular oral contraception and offer sexual health advice, without needing to see your GP.

Seeing a dentist

If you have toothache, sore or bleeding gums, a troublesome wisdom tooth, tooth sensitivity or other types of facial pain you should book an appointment with a dentist.

If you have a dental emergency or are experiencing dental pain out-of-hours, please call our Emergency Dental Helpline on +44 (0)300 10 20 247.

Seeing an optometrist

If you have problems with your eye health including an injury, pain, swelling, visual loss or disturbance you should book an appointment with an optometrist. Find your local optometrist.

Organ donation in Wales

On 1 December 2015 the law around organ donation in Wales changed. This will apply to everyone who is resident in Wales for more than 12 months, including international students. You may be asked if you wish to opt out of the default NHS organ donor registration. You can submit your preference online.