Skip to main content

Proof of identity documentation

In order to obtain a Cardiff University student ID card, you'll need to provide proof of your identity.

International students

You must bring the following:

If you don't have any of these, you will not be issued with a student card. Please contact the Student Support Centre as soon as possible for advice.

Student Visa Support enquiries

Contact us through Student Connect

EEA National students with EU Settlement Scheme

You must upload an original EEA passport as part of the enrolment process.

If you can't provide this document, you will not be able to complete registration with the University.

UK National students

You must upload one of the following as part of the enrolment process:

  • original passport
  • naturalisation certificate
  • right of abode certificate
  • birth certificate.

If you do not have one of these forms of ID, you will only be granted temporary registration. You will have six weeks from the start of your course to provide one of these forms of ID, or your registration with the University may be cancelled.

How to get temporary registration

You will need to provide two of the following forms of ID (one of which must contain your address, confirmed during enrolment, as held on the University student record):

  • UK photographic driving licence
  • tenancy agreement or mortgage documentation
  • debit card (only at ID card collection venue)
  • current credit card or charge card (only at ID card collection venue)
  • bank or building society book (only at ID card collection venue)
  • cheque book (only at ID card collection venue)
  • full driving licence (without photo)
  • utility bill
  • marriage certificate
  • Home Office documents
  • Inland Revenue documents
  • work permit
  • National Insurance card
  • correspondence from the Student Loans Company or local authority.