Staff at Cardiff and Vale UHB, Velindre University NHS Trust and Health Education and Improvement Wales (HEIW)
You can join Cardiff University libraries if you are a member of staff of local NHS services.
Cardiff and Vale UHB and Velindre University NHS Trust staff, HEIW staff and Cardiff-based GPs are entitled to library membership and can access all of our services, resources and facilities (with the exception of Cardiff University network accounts and online access to Cardiff University e-resources).
The Velindre University NHS Trust Library also provides services to the Welsh Blood Service, NHS Wales Informatics Service, Tŷ Hafan, the Marie Curie Hospice (Cardiff and the Vale), and City Hospice.
Through this membership scheme you can:
- borrow up to 35 items from any Cardiff University library
- use LibrarySearch to find items in our Cardiff University libraries and to access your library account
- use NHS Wales LibrarySearch to find print and electronic items in Cardiff and NHS Wales health libraries and the NHS Wales e-Library for Health
- use the print journal collections with walk in access to our electronic resources (subject to licensing agreements)
- use the inter-library document supply for books and articles not available locally
- use photocopying, printing and scanning facilities
- use the Cardiff and Vale UHB networked PCs, available in the Archie Cochrane Library, Brian Cooke Library and the Health Library
- use the Velindre University NHS Trust networked PCs in the Velindre University NHS Trust Library
- use IT training rooms in the Archie Cochrane and Health libraries, which can be booked for group training sessions using internet resources
- request entry to the Postgraduate Zone study area in UHW main hospital (Cardiff and Vales UHB staff only).
Our staff can assist with using databases, literature searching, systematic literature reviews and copyright. We can also provide training on the NHS Wales e-Library for Health and help you obtain an Athens account for home use of e-resources. Information skills training both individually and in groups can be arranged. Ask a member of library staff for further information.
How to join
During the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, all our libraries are closed and we cannot register you in person. Instead we are providing registration online or by email.
Complete the online form via the NHS Wales Library Service website.
Cardiff and Vale UHB/HEIW staff - email firstname.lastname@example.org
We will send you a membership form.
Membership enables you to use all our NHS resources fully: see the Information about membership section of this page for full details.
When our normal service is resumed, we will let you know how to get your physical library card, which you will need to borrow books and for 24-hour access to the Health Library, Archie Cochrane Library and the Postgraduate Zone at UHW.