Library membership enables you to borrow and request books from our libraries.
You can currently only borrow items that you have requested – use our Click and Collect service to collect your items in person
You will be given a date when the books are due for return, however most of your books will renew automatically at the end of the loan period.
Click and Collect
A Click and Collect service is available at the following locations:
|Arts and Social Studies Library||Monday to Friday 09:00-19:45, Saturday 10:00-16:45|
|Bute Library||Monday to Friday between 09:00-17:00|
|Health Library||Monday to Friday 09:00-17:00, Saturday 10:00-14:00|
|Science Library||Monday to Friday between 09:00-17:00|
|Trevithick Library||Monday to Friday between 09:00-17:00|
Please note, entry to the Trevithick Library for Click and Collect is via the Queens Building (follow the signs to the library).
You will need your University ID card to borrow books. Please contact us if you do not have a current ID card.
- Log in to LibrarySearch - you can request up to 15 items from any Cardiff University library at a time. Choose which library (Pickup Location) you would like to collect your book from.
- You'll receive an email when your requests are available for collection.
- Click on the link in the email to book your collection time - your collection booking must be at the same location as the Pickup Location you selected when requesting the item. Only one appointment is needed to collect all available items.
- Requests will be held for 5 days.
Collecting your request
You must not visit any Cardiff University Library if you or someone you live with has symptoms of COVID-19, such as a high temperature, a new continuous cough, or a loss of taste or smell.
- You will need to wear a face-covering when you enter the library (unless you are exempt).
- Please bring your ID card or proof of your booking.
- You must maintain a two metre distance between yourself and other individuals wherever possible and follow the designated routes around the building.
- Collect your requests from the request shelf and issue to your account using the self-service kiosk. You will need your University ID card.
If you are currently unable to visit the library in person, you can nominate someone to collect your requests on your behalf. Please add this information when you make your booking.
Most of your loans will be renewed automatically, provided they have not been requested by anyone else. You'll receive an email if your book has been requested so you know it won't renew. You can also check 'My Library Account' on LibrarySearch; any requested books will have a loan status of 'Recalled'.
You can renew books yourself in 'My Library Account': if the book isn't renewable, you won't have the option to renew that particular book. If a book doesn't renew, you will get a message on screen explaining why. You will be able to keep the book until the due date, you should then return it.
You can currently only borrow items that you have requested. You can request items which are already on loan using LibrarySearch. You can also place requests on items which are on the shelf in any Cardiff University library using LibrarySearch. Older, less-used items held in Library Stores (displayed on LibrarySearch with the location 'Talybont Research Reserve') can also be requested using LibrarySearch.
All books returned to the library are quarantined for 72 hours so requests will not be available as quickly as usual.
- check your LibrarySearch account regularly to find out when your requests are ready to collect
- use our Click and Collect service to collect your items in person.
Books from NHS Wales hospital libraries
If you are a member of our libraries and wish to borrow a book from an NHS Wales hospital library, log in to LibrarySearch and request the book using the Inter-Library Loan Request link.
You can return books in the return book bins at the following locations:
- the rear of the Arts and Social Studies Library, opposite the John Percival building
- Health Library, near the main entrance of the Cochrane Building
- Trevithick Library, to the left of the Trevithick Building entrance.
Post your books into the return book bin. When returning books, please observe social distancing rules.
You can post books back to us at the following address:
Arts and Social Studies Library
Lost or stolen books
If any library items are lost or stolen from you, please contact the issuing library immediately. You will be liable for the replacement cost of any items which are lost or stolen from your possession.