Support for research and research students
Our staff and students are actively supported through a range of development policies and opportunities that are tailored to individual career stages and informed by our commitment to equality and diversity.
How we support research
We actively support research in our school through a variety of different methods:
- our Research Office is run by a Research Manager and a Research Officer
- a Director of Research and School Research Committee shape our research strategies, policies and culture
- we provide annual funding to academic members of staff for conferences, travel and other research and scholarship expenses
- research-active staff are eligible to apply for one-year study leave through Cardiff University’s research leave programme, which is designed to recruit outstanding Early Career Researchers to support staff leave.
- our researchers have access to University-level support such as the Research and Innovation Services.
- the Welsh School of Architecture Research Lecture Series hosts leading scholars and provides a vibrant monthly forum for academics and postgraduate students.
How we support our research students
Our School is home to a diverse body of postgraduate research students (PGR) who work closely with our internationally recognised academics within a thriving postgraduate research community.
We adopt a transparent, equal opportunities approach to PGR recruitment, taking professional/voluntary work and career experience into consideration for applicants who have not recently been involved in academic study or have taken career/study breaks.
Our research students are supported by the School in a number of ways:
- resources accessible through the Doctoral Academy such as workshops, training courses and events.
- dedicated, tailored spaces for the postgraduate community
- periodical reviews of the PhD progress
- social events for postgraduate research students, supervisors and professional services staff
- integration into our School’s research culture through the Research and Scholarship Groups, the Welsh School of Architecture Research Lecture Series and events, conferences, workshops and presentations designed to support disciplinary research skills
- encouragement to play a part in our School’s management structure through representation on our committees.
- opportunities to gain teaching experience
- encouragement to make wider contributions to the discipline by presenting research at national and international conferences and taking an active role in organising events at the School and beyond.
The Postgraduate Research Experience Survey has consistently reflected the increasing satisfaction among our research students who are very happy with the knowledge and suitability of their supervisors and the feedback they receive on their work.
Facilities for research students
Our School has a number of resources and related services led by specialist support staff that help our staff and students to continue to conduct top-level research.
- support and vital assistance from technical administrators, a workshop manager, technician, a digital labs manager, two operations assistants and IT officers stationed in the School.
- investment in IT: in the last three years, we have increased investment in our School’s technological infrastructure, renewing and strengthening it and providing additional support for research.
- specialist research equipment: we have a diverse array of specialised equipment, from sensors and monitoring equipment to a robotic arm.
For more information about all of our facilities, including our recent renovations please see our facilities pages.