Part-time postgraduate taught study
Many of our academic schools deliver part-time postgraduate courses. These offer greater flexibility whilst still providing all the benefits and support enjoyed by full-time students. There are opportunities for both in-person and blended learning.
Part-time postgraduate taught courses are normally twice as long as their full-time equivalent but there are some exceptions in subject areas including Computing and Engineering.
Usually, you’ll study exactly the same modules as the full-time equivalent course but take them at a slower pace to suit your lifestyle. See our available part-time courses on this page to find out more.
Benefits of part-time study
- Balance study with personal or professional commitments
- Ability to work and maintain an income whilst studying
- Spreads the cost of learning
- Less intensive workload
- Career enhancement
- Full access to student support and campus facilities
- Opportunity to develop new skills and knowledge in a new subject through a conversion course
Subject to eligibility criteria, which can include programme length, there are various loans, scholarships, bursaries and grants available to help fund part-time postgraduate taught study. The majority of funding is available for full master’s programmes only. These include:
- UK Government Postgraduate Funding
- Alumni Discount
- Master’s Excellence Scholarship
- Alternative Guide to Postgraduate Funding
Some postgraduate taught part-time courses offer blended learning. Blended learning strikes a balance between the convenience of online learning and the traditional benefits of face-to-face learning. The learning methods for a blended learning programme differ according to the requirements of each particular course.
Support for your part-time study
As a part-time postgraduate taught student, you will have access to the same support services as full-time students. Our Student Connect Team is committed to helping students make the transition to university life. Services available include:
If you are returning to learning, our Academic Study Skills Team offers a wide range of classes to help improve study techniques. Support is also available for mature students and student parents.
Available part-time postgraduate taught courses
The following postgraduate taught courses are available to study part-time:
- Social Science Research Methods (Criminology) (MSc)
- Social Science Research Methods (Educational Studies) (MSc)
- Social Science Research Methods (Management and Business Studies) (MSc)
- Social Science Research Methods (Science and Technology Studies) (MSc)
- Social Science Research Methods (Social Policy) (MSc)
- Social Science Research Methods (Social Work) (MSc)
- Social Science Research Methods (Sociology) (MSc)
Find out more
For more information about part-time postgraduate taught study contact our postgraduate teams.
You can also subscribe to our postgraduate newsletter to receive updates on funding opportunities, Open Days and more.
Scholarships available worth £3,000 each for UK students starting a master’s degree in September 2023.