10 week course
This course will now be offered online.
This summer 2020 course is for students with IELTS (Academic) for UKVI 6.5 (with all sub-scores at 5.5 or higher) who have a course entry requirement of IELTS 7.0.
Applicants who have TOEFL iBT or TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition must have a minimum score of 90 overall with at least 17 in Writing, 17 in Listening, 18 in Reading and 20 in Speaking.
Applicants who have Pearson Test of English Academic must have a minimum score of 62 overall with at least 51 in all sub-scores.
Applicants who have the Duolingo English Test must have a minimum score of 110.
The 10 week course will run from 6 July to 11 September 2020.
The 10 week pre-sessional programme will now be offered as a fully online course.
This means that you will be able to study the pre-sessional course from your home country and will not need to travel to Cardiff for the course. This is a new online pre-sessional programme and we are working to ensure that we offer you the quality of experience you would expect from a Cardiff University course.
The online course will:
- develop your language and skills to prepare you for your academic course at Cardiff University
- include a full programme of course materials, audio and video input, and self-access materials which will cover the skills of academic reading, writing, listening and speaking
- offer every student a classroom experience from the safety of their own homes: you will be placed in a group of students for online lessons with one of our experienced and qualified tutors, as well as being guided to self-study tasks to supplement your online learning. We hope that you will enjoy working both independently and with the other students in your group as you develop your skills together
- provide weekly tutorials and individual feedback on your progress
- offer all students pastoral care from our approachable and caring team
- introduce you to academic life and provide professional guidance on academic issues and expectations.
Further details will be sent to all applicants before the start of the course. Following online enrolment, detailed course documentation will be made available to students.
This part of the course will focus on the ways we use the English language in an academic content. We will concentrate on the grammatical structures and vocabulary commonly used in presenting academic work, while improving confidence in communicating with, and responding to, the academic community.
Academic study skills are invaluable and we believe that all university students would benefit from this course. In this part of the course, you will learn and practise the core skills needed to complete your chosen degree programme.
They include skills such as note-taking, summarising, text structure, referencing, data analysis, understanding lectures, making presentations and participating in seminars and tutorials.
All students will be familiarised with University resources provided to students enrolled on academic programmes of study and with the conventions and expectations for the presentation of academic work.
The course fee for 2020 entry is £2,960.
This includes a 20% discount specifically for 2020 entry.