8 week courses
We are now offering on-campus and online 8-week Pre-sessional courses.
We intend to offer our 8-week Pre-sessional B course on-campus in summer 2021 using a blended learning approach. Weeks 1-3 of the course will be offered 100% online. Weeks 4-8 will include live classes every day on the University campus, as well as live online sessions and self-study.
Our 8-week A course will be offered fully online with live sessions every day, as well as further tasks and self-study.
The 8 week courses are for students with IELTS (Academic) 6.0 who have a score of 5.5 in Writing (and all other sub-scores at 5.0 or higher) and have a course entry requirement of IELTS 6.5. Applicants for the on-campus 8-week B course will need to ensure that they take the IELTS (Academic) for UKVI test.
Applicants who have Pearson Test of English Academic must have a minimum score of 54 overall with 51 in Writing and 44 in all other sub-scores. Applicants for the on-campus 8-week B course will need to ensure that they take the Pearson Test of English Academic UKVI test.
Students who are taking the online Pre-sessional course and who are not planning to travel to the UK can use a TOEFL iBT or the non-UKVI version of IELTS (Academic) or Pearson Test of English Academic to meet our entry requirements.
|8 week A||12 July - 3 September 2021||Places available|
|8 week B||19 July - 10 September 2021||Places available|
The 8 Week A and B courses will:
- develop your language and skills to prepare you for your academic course at Cardiff University
- include a full teaching programme and course materials which will cover the skills of academic reading, writing, listening and speaking. The course also features 'guided practice' materials which provide extra opportunities to develop key areas of academic language and skills. These are supplemented by self-study materials that you may wish to practise in your own time to check your understanding of different aspects of the course
- offer every student a rich classroom experience: you will be placed in a group of students for your lessons with our experienced and qualified tutors. We hope that you will enjoy working both individually and with the other students in your group as you develop your skills together
- provide tutorials with your teacher and individual feedback on your progress
- offer all students pastoral care from our approachable and caring team
- introduce you to academic life and provide professional guidance on academic issues and expectations.
The 8-week A course will include live online classes and class tasks, plus online seminars and tutorials between 9:00 and 13:30 UK time (British Summertime) with additional hours of guided practice and self-study.
The 8-week B course in weeks 4 - 8 will include live classes on campus and online, plus seminars and tutorials between 9:00 and 15:00 UK time (British Summertime). In weeks 1 – 3, all teaching activity will be offered online between 9:00 and 13.30 UK time (British Summertime) with additional hours of guided practice and self-study.
This part of the course will focus on the ways we use the English language in an academic content. We will concentrate on the grammatical structures and vocabulary commonly used in presenting academic work, while improving confidence in communicating with, and responding to, the academic community.
Academic study skills are invaluable and we believe that all university students would benefit from this course. In this part of the course, you will learn and practise the core skills needed to complete your chosen degree programme.
They include skills such as note-taking, summarising, text structure, referencing, data analysis, understanding lectures, making presentations and participating in seminars and tutorials.
All students will be familiarised with University resources provided to students enrolled on academic programmes of study and with the conventions and expectations for the presentation of academic work.
The course fee for 2021 entry is £2,960.
Note regarding the on-campus 8-week B course:
Our intention to offer the 8-week B course on campus in Cardiff from July 2021, as described on this page, may need to change in response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and any legislation, regulation or government guidance that applies at the relevant time. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the University’s Terms and Conditions of Offer and you will be notified of any changes required as soon as possible.
Ensuring the safety and welfare of our students and staff is our priority. Find out about the protective measures we have put in place to ensure your time with us is safe and enjoyable.