Pathway to a degree in History, Archaeology or Religion
Our 'Exploring the Past' pathway to a degree in history, archaeology or religion has been designed for adults returning to education who want to move towards studying at degree level.
Exploring the Past pathway
Modules are taught in the evenings and weekends and have been designed specifically for the needs of busy adult learners.
How it works
The Exploring the Past pathway is made up of 60 credits and is equivalent to 50% of the first year of a degree. It is intended to provide you with the skills and experience needed, and will guarantee you an interview, to study for a degree in the School of History, Archaeology and Religion.
You will study at least one core module worth 10 credits.
You will either study five 10 credit optional modules from the pathway programme, or four 10 credit optional modules from the pathway programme and one appropriate 10 credit course from the wider programme (after consultation with the Coordinating Lecturer).
If you are accepted onto a degree at Cardiff University you may be eligible for advanced standing. This means that the 60 credits gained from this pathway programme will contribute directly towards the first year of your degree.
- Exploring the Past: History (10 credits)
- Exploring the Past: Archaeology (10 credits)
- Exploring Religion: Past and Present (10 credits).
These usually change every academic year. 2021/22 optional modules include:
- Art and Archaeology of Empires: Rome Meets Byzantium (10 credits)
- The Invisible Greeks: The Forgotten Lives of an Ancient People (10 credits)
- Life, Love and Death in Early Modern England (10 credits)
- Migration and the Making of Multicultural Britain (10 credits)
- If These Finds Could Talk: The Archaeology of Objects (10 credits)
- The Tudors: Fact, Fiction and Fantasy (10 credits)
- Medieval Queenship (10 credits)
- Cities, Civilisations and Empires: The Ancient Near East (10 credits)
Under normal circumstances, you can expect to complete the pathway within one year, but you can take longer if needed.
Our Exploring the Past pathway to a degree offers an affordable route into Higher Education. You only have to sign up and pay for one module at a time and you have the option of splitting the cost into two instalments.
Financial help is available through a variety of different schemes. Once you start studying on the pathway you can also access expert advice on the best way to fund your studies should you go on to a degree.
If you have any queries or would like to find out more about this the Exploring the Past pathway, please contact:
Dr Paul Webster