Skip to main content

Funding and paying for your learning

Concessionary fees

You may be eligible for concessionary fees. Concessionary fee rates are shown below the standard fee rate for each course.

You will be asked to provide appropriate evidence of your entitlement to concessionary fees when you apply for a course. Concessions are available to anyone receiving:

  • Universal Credit
  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Jobseekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Council Tax Reduction (does not include discounts and exemptions)
  • Working Tax Credit
  • State pension
  • Personal Independence Payment.

They are also available to:

  • Cardiff University staff and full-time Cardiff University students

Concessionary fees are not available if a sponsor (such as your employer or Student Finance Wales) is paying the fee.

Please ensure the evidence you submit shows your name, the date, and the type of benefit you are receiving. Documents must be dated within the last 6 weeks or show that the benefit is ongoing.

If you are in receipt of Working Tax Credits, please ensure your evidence shows the full copy of the Reward Notice, including the address and the name of the person(s) the benefit covers.

Please contact us if you need further information.

Loans and grants

If you intend to study 30 credits or more in this academic year, you may be able to apply to Student Finance Wales for a tuition fee loan to fund your learning. In some cases, you may also be eligible for certain grants.

You will need to check the eligibility criteria that apply to part-time students. The criteria will vary depending on the academic year you start your studies and whether you are a new or returning student. Read a quick summary here.

If you wish to apply you should do so as soon as possible once you have selected your courses. The quickest way is to apply online on the Student Finance Wales website.

Please note that Section 4 of the application form, ‘About your university or college and course’, must be filled out correctly or Student Finance Wales will send the form back to you. If you need assistance in completing the application form then contact Student Services:

With the support of the Higher Education Funding Council for Wales (HEFCW) we are offering a fee waiver scheme to support students who would not otherwise have access to higher education. Eligible stu dents will have their course fees paid by HEFCW.

To be eligible for a fee waiver you:

  • Must not study more than 20 credits in this academic year
  • Must be living in Wales

You must also meet at least one of the following criteria:

  • You are from an area of socio-economic deprivation or low participation in higher education
  • You receive qualifying benefits such as Universal Credit
  • You belong to a Black, Asian or minority ethnic group
  • You are a refugee or asylum seeker
  • You have a disability
  • You are a carer
  • You are a Care Leaver or Care Experienced
  • Your Parents/guardians are not educated to higher education level

Go to the Fee Waiver Guidance and Application Form

Additional financial assistance may also be available from the University to students on low incomes who have no prior experience in Higher Education. For further information on eligibility and the application process, please contact the Advice and Money Team.

Pay by instalment

For courses where the fee payable is over £360, payment can be made by two instalments (payment by instalment is not possible if you are enrolling online).

The first instalment will be £260 and is required when you complete an application for the course. You will then be advised of the due date and amount of the second instalment by letter.

Pay by invoice

If your employer (other than the University) is paying for the course and would prefer to pay by invoice they will need to provide a purchase order. This should be included in your application to the course. If you are unable to attach a purchase order, please contact us.


If you have any questions about funding or payment, please get in touch.

Continuing and Professional Education

General enquiries