Ewch i’r prif gynnwys

Cymorth i ymgeiswyr swyddi rhyngwladol

Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.

We're proud to hold an A-rated sponsor licence to assign certificates of sponsorship where a job is deemed suitable under the points based system.

When you apply via our online system, you'll be asked if you are eligible to live and work in the UK. If you're subject to immigration control, a series of additional questions will appear in relation to your eligibility to work within the UK.

More information on certificates of sponsorship, license holders responsibilities and job suitability can be obtained at the UK Visas and Immigration website. You can find useful information on living and working in the UK on the British Council Euraxess website.


If you are neither a citizen of the UK or an Irish national, you may need to apply for a visa before you are legally allowed to commence work in the UK.

If you are unsure whether or not you need a visa, check on the UK Visas and Immigration website.

Applying for a visa can take time, so it's important to apply well in advance of when you intend to travel. Find out about visa processing times in your country.

Proof of your right to work

Once you have a visa to enter the UK, you must provide us with proof of your entitlement to work in the UK and your passport/biometric card before you start work. If you don't provide us with these before your first day, you won't be able to start work on the date stated in your contract.

On or before your first day, you will need to let us know:

  • your current residential address in the UK
  • your phone number (landline or mobile).

If you are sponsored by the University under the Points Based System, you must update us every time your address or phone number changes.

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

You may need to obtain an ATAS certificate from the Counter-Proliferation and Arms Control Centre of the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) before you make your visa application.

An ATAS certificate is free of charge.

If you are subject to the ATAS requirement, your contract and offer letter (for new staff) or your contract extension letter (for existing staff) will inform you and contain details of how to apply for a certificate.

You must obtain an ATAS certificate before you make your visa application, otherwise the visa application will be refused. We recommend you apply for your ATAS certificate as soon as possible to avoid any delays in your start date with us. The FCDO can take at least 4 weeks to process an ATAS application (longer between April and September), so you should remember this when arranging your start date with your line manager.

Find out more about ATAS on the UK Government website
Apply for an ATAS certificate from the FCDO
Check if you need an ATAS certificate

Extension to stay in the UK

If you are already employed by us and have obtained an extension of stay in the UK we will need to see your new biometric card when you receive it.

We will carry out a follow-up check on your passport or biometric card and will contact you when the check is needed.

Other useful information

You may want to arrange short-term accommodation before your arrival in the UK. This will give you time to look for accommodation for the longer term. You can search accommodation on the Visit Cardiff website.

We offer a one-stop shop support system for anyone moving to the UK to take up an appointment at Cardiff University.

We also offer financial assistance to help cover relocation costs.

If your family members are not EEA/Swiss citizens, you may be able to bring them to the UK. However, in most circumstances, there are strict conditions that you and your family will need to meet. You will have to show your family members do not need to claim welfare benefits.

Further information for those who are being sponsored by the University via Skilled Worker or Government Authorised Exchange (Temporary Work) can be found via the following links:

UK immigration law is complex and getting it wrong has serious consequences. While we will always seek to support you, you should always consult a specialist adviser. To find out more, see the Citizens Advice Bureau's help with immigration problems.

The UK has a number of banking institutions whose requirements will differ. You will usually need to provide evidence of your identity and current proof of your UK address. If you are opening the account in person, banks will usually accept your passport as proof of your identity. Proving your address in the UK may be more difficult but the following documents may be acceptable:

  • a tenancy agreement, or
  • a letter from the University confirming you are employed at Cardiff University and confirming your UK address (the HR Service Centre can supply this for you on request)
  • The bank may also want to see proof of your previous or permanent address in the country that you come from. Your national identity card or driving licence may be acceptable for this purpose.

The bank may ask for your written permission to get a reference about you from a bank or financial institution if you have an account in the country that you come from.

As banks' requirements vary, the documents that can be accepted may differ from bank to bank. You should contact the bank in the first instance to check and take with you as much information as you have available. Please note that they normally only accept original documents, not copies.

Please note that if you are sponsored by the University via Tier 2, your salary must be paid into an account that is in your own name.

Your salary will be paid directly into your bank account on the last banking day of the month. To ensure this happens, it is important that you provide us with your bank account details as soon as possible.

In August 2013, the government introduced new rules which mean that all employees must be auto-enrolled in a workplace pension scheme.

National insurance

In the UK, national insurance is a compulsory deduction from your pay that funds the state provided pension, health benefits and other government benefits. The amount you pay is dependent on your earnings, subject to a maximum.

As an employee, you will need to have a National Insurance number (NI) number so that the UK tax authority can record your income tax payments and National Insurance Contributions.

If you have been granted a visa for more than 6 months your NI number will appear in the remarks on the reverse of your Biometric Card so there is no need for you to make a separate application to obtain one.  You can enter the number on the Pay Roll Start Up Form.

Otherwise, you will need to apply for a National Insurance Number from Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC). You should apply for an NI number as soon as you arrive in the UK.

Once you know your NI number, you should inform the Salaries section so that they can update your records.

Income Tax

Income tax is a levy imposed by the government on the earnings of UK workers. It is known as Pay As You Earn (PAYE) and is applied as a percentage of 'taxable income'. Different rates apply to different levels of taxable income - the higher your income, the higher the percentage of tax is paid.

The amount you pay will be shown on your payslip. Your payslip will include a tax code which is determined by HMRC and relates directly to the amount of tax you pay. For further information about your tax code and NI deductions, you should contact the Salaries section.

You can also find more information on tax and National Insurance on the HMRC website.

UK state schools are run by the local education authorities and are free up to the age of 16.

If your child is under 16 and will be with you in Cardiff as your dependant for more than 6 months, they should be able to go to a state school free of charge.

The state system is divided into 3 types of school:

  • Nursery School (3-5 years of age)
  • Primary School (5-11 years of age)
  • Secondary School (11-16 years of age)

How can I find a school?

For further information and a list of the state schools in and around the Cardiff area visit Cardiff City Council.

Children for whom English is a second language

If you think your child will need support with their English Language, then this is available through Cardiff Councils' Ethnic Minority Achievement Service and children are supported in their own school. Your child's school teacher should be able to access this additional English language support for your child.

Further information

For further information on schooling in the UK you can look at the British Council's Education Information note on choosing a state funded school.

What about childcare for pre-school children?

University facilities

The university's Little Scholars Nursery provides childcare for children aged 10 weeks to 5 years.

Family Information Service

Cardiff Council's Family Information Service is designed to make it easy for parents to find all of the information they need about a broad range of services for children including a searchable childcare database. The Family Information Service Team are on hand to provide additional information, advice, guidance and support if you cannot find what you are looking for on their website or you need more detailed information. You can contact them on +44 (0)29 2035 1700.

Private nurseries

For a list of private nurseries in the Cardiff area visit the Childcare website.


Childminders work form home providing childcare to children of various ages. Childminders must be registered and inspected regularly. For information go to the Welcome to Cardiff Council website.

The Government has information about bringing a pet into the UK.

International Staff Network

In October 2016, a new international staff network was launched via a staff initiative. It is designed to provide support and pragmatic advice to new arrivals through:

Team members

The team members are Dr Raya Ahmed (Medicine); Dr Monika Hennemann (Modern Languages), Dr Stephen Man (Medicine), Karolina Rucinska (Engineering), Vicky Ucele (Modern Language) and Dr Carlos E. Ugalde-Loo (Engineering).


When your arrive you can interact with the team through the International Staff Network Yammer group or by email:

Rhwydwaith Staff Rhyngwladol