Analytical and technical services
Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.
We provide analytical and technical services through our experts in data acquisition and interpretation with access to a varied range of analytical equipment.
Whether it is just analysis of a single sample that is required, or more comprehensive analysis of many samples using multiple techniques, we are ideally placed to provide the answers you need.
You may be an experienced chemist and know exactly the information you want, but if not, we could help you to identify what you need to know and how to achieve your aims.
To discuss your requirements, please contact:
A diverse set of analytical tools are available for use, including:
- NMR: A range of liquid spectrometers from 200 MHz to 600 MHz providing 1D and more advanced 2D and multiple analysis, and 400 MHz solid-state spectrometers. In particular, the Cardiff High Field NMR facility is equipped with a state-of-the-art 600 MHz liquid phase NMR spectrometer with cryoprobe for research in the physical and life/medical sciences. This instrument is ideally set-up for biological samples and small molecule analysis.
- XRD: Identification of phases from powder XRD to full structural determination using single crystal XRD.
- GC-MS and LC-MS: Analysis of complex mixtures using high resolution mass spectrometry.
- EPR/ENDOR: Characterisation of paramagnetic and reactive intermediates using a range of both continuous wave and pulsed EPR and ENDOR techniques at X- and Q-band frequencies for analysis of solids and liquid phase systems.
- Spectroscopy: Infrared, ultraviolet-visible, Laser Raman, time resolved luminescence, field cycling relaxometry, termal analysis.
- Surface analysis: Techniques of XPS, AFM and STM.
- Electron microscopy: SEM with micro-elemental analysis.
- Temperature programmed techniques: Thermal gravimentric analysis, temperature programmed reduction/oxidation.
- Elemental analysis using Microwave Plassma Atomic Emission spectroscopy MPAEs).
- Adsorption techniques: Surface area, pore volume and pore size distribution of powders.