Our internationally recognised research and education is focused on tackling the important scientific challenges of the 21st century.
We provide an outstanding and stimulating environment for chemical research and education. Our excellent reputation in modern chemical science attracts over 250 students from around the world every year:
- 180+ students to undergraduate MChem and BSc programmes
- 30 students to MSc programmes
- 45 to postgraduate research
Research and teaching is led by a dedicated team of academic staff with support from more than 80 postdoctoral and other staff. Our staff also engage in a range of community programmes, involving schools outreach, public awareness and encouraging young learners.
- In the REF 2021 research assessment exercise we were ranked 12th in the UK for the impact of our research in addressing major challenges facing society, the economy and our environment. 99% of our submission deemed world-leading or internationally excellent, showing the strength of our research expertise.
- In 2012, 89% of our graduates were in employment or further study within six months of graduation, and this high proportion has continued in recent years.
- High employability – 97.7% of our graduates were in employment and / or further study, due to start a new job or course, or doing other activities such as travelling, 15 months after the end of their course.
- Higher Education Statistics agency. Latest graduate outcomes survey (2019/20).