Our research degrees give you the freedom to investigate a cutting-edge topic in depth, amongst leading researchers with truly first-class facilities.
Each year we recruit approximately 40 students for higher degrees (PhD and MPhil). Our postgraduate degrees are based on independent full-time research work, with an academic supervisor to guide you in discovering new and exciting areas of chemistry.
Available PhD and MPhil courses
- Catalysis in the Cardiff Catalysis Institute (PhD/MPhil)
- Biological Chemistry (PhD/MPhil)
- Chemistry (PhD/MPhil)
- Inorganic Chemistry (PhD/MPhil)
- Organic Synthesis (PhD/MPhil)
- Physical Organic Chemistry (PhD/MPhil)
- Solid State Materials (PhD/MPhil)
- Theoretical and Computational Chemistry (PhD/MPhil)
We also offer PhD and MPhil research degrees in a range of other areas of chemistry.
We mentor and support you in numerous ways.
- You have one or more supervisor(s) and a review panel of two independent academics.
- All students further benefit from numerous training courses from the school, the Doctoral Academy and the GW4 university consortium.
- Nominated student representatives participate in a quarterly PGR Forum, and hold membership on key school committees.
- Submission of confidential feedback is encouraged, allowing us to formally act on issues.
- We conduct an exit survey allowing us to reflect upon your experience and improve.
- You have the opportunity to develop further academic skills by assisting in undergraduate workshops and laboratory-based classes.
General enquiries should be addressed to:
Postgraduate Research Office - Chemistry
Informal applications may be made by contacting any member of academic staff whose research is of interest to you.
Full details of our PhD and MPhil degrees, including how to apply, are available in course finder.