Skip to main content

Postgraduate research

Our research degrees give you the freedom to investigate a cutting-edge topic in depth, amongst leading researchers with truly first-class facilities.

Each year we recruit approximately 50 students for higher degrees (PhD and MPhil). Our postgraduate degrees are based on independent full-time research work, with an academic supervisor to guide you in discovering new and exciting areas of chemistry.

Available PhD and MPhil courses

We also offer PhD and MPhil research degrees in a range of other areas of chemistry.

Learn about our research courses from staff and students in the School:


We welcome applications for PhD study from students who would like to apply for Commonwealth Scholarships or China Scholarship Council Funding.

Postgraduate support

We mentor and support you in numerous ways.

  • You have one or more supervisor(s), and a review panel of two independent academics, as well as meeting with the Head of School twice a year.
  • You are enrolled on a dedicated online module which supports all aspects of postgraduate activity (including counselling, health and wellbeing services; ethics and integrity, unconscious bias, and equality and diversity; safety forms; career development; thesis submission checklist; and feedback mechanisms).
  • All students further benefit from numerous training courses from the Doctoral Academy and the GW4 University consortium.
  • Nominated student representatives participate in a quarterly PGR Forum, and hold membership on key School committees.
  • Submission of confidential feedback is encouraged, allowing us to formally act on issues.
  • We conduct an exit survey allowing us to reflect upon your experience and improve.
  • You have the opportunity to develop further academic skills by assisting in Undergraduate workshops, laboratory-based classes, and our Post-Doctorate Lecture programme.


General enquiries should be addressed to:

Postgraduate Research Office - Chemistry

Informal applications may be made by contacting any member of academic staff whose research is of interest to you.