Skip to main content

Registering with a GP

Having a GP (general practitioner) and access to other healthcare professionals in Cardiff means you can easily access care if you need it.

Registering with a general practitioner (GP)

If you spend more weeks of the year at your University address than elsewhere, you need to register with a GP in Cardiff as soon as possible so that you can receive routine and urgent care if you need it.

This is especially important if you have an ongoing health condition, particularly one that needs medicine, such as asthma, diabetes, epilepsy or mental health issues.

Find your local GP surgery.

Choosing the right GP for you

Research your options in the area you want to register in.

Compare GP surgeries according to facilities, services or performance before you decide. Ask friends, relatives and others you trust for their thoughts and recommendations.

You may want to register with a Welsh speaking doctor or a doctor who speaks other languages.

Contact the practice and ask if it is accepting registrations.

Registering online

Register using Campus Doctor.

To complete your registration, you will need your:

  • town and country of birth
  • term-time address
  • recent medical history relating to allergies, medication, vital statistics, lifestyle choices or any diagnosis or ongoing treatment

You will be asked to share your NHS Number and previous registered GP Surgery details during your online enrolment. It will make the process easier and quicker if you can provide this information.

NHS Wales 111

The NHS Wales 111 service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and you can use it both for health information and advice and to access urgent primary care. The service is an amalgamation of NHS Direct Wales and the GP out-of-hours services and is available online and by telephoning: 111.

If you have a serious or life-threatening emergency, you should dial 999.

Seeing a pharmacist

Your local pharmacy offers free confidential advice and treatment for a range of common ailments. If you have a minor illness like coughs, colds, diarrhoea or headaches or need advice on medications you can speak to your Community Pharmacist.

Find your local Community Pharmacist.

Seeing a dentist

If you have toothache, sore or bleeding gums, a troublesome wisdom tooth, tooth sensitivity or other types of facial pain you should book an appointment with a dentist.

Find your local dentist.

Seeing an optometrist

If you have problems with your eye health like injuries, pain, swelling, visual loss or disturbance you should book an appointment with an optometrist.

Find your local optometrist.

Organ donation in Wales

On 1 December 2015 the law around organ donation in Wales changed. This will apply to everyone who is resident in Wales for more than 12 months, including international students. You may be asked if you wish to opt out of the default NHS organ donor registration, you can submit your preference on the website.