Skip to main content

Specialist support services

If you're recommended a specialist support service as a reasonable adjustment by the Student Disability Service or following your DSA needs assessment, we can provide this service for you via our in-house services.

Support worker service

We have a team of support workers who can work with you to assist you with a range of study related activities, such as:

  • note-taking in lectures
  • orientation and mobility support around campus
  • assistance in laboratory and practical classes.

Specialist study skills tuition

We have a team of specialist study skills tutors who provide specialist study skills support for students whose disability impacts their study in some aspect. The support our tutors offers is focused on developing study skills in the following areas:

  • organisational and time management
  • note-taking and writing techniques
  • effective research
  • academic writing
  • reading fluency and efficiency
  • spelling and grammar
  • revision and memory strategies
  • independent learning.

Mental health mentoring service

Our mental health mentors provide support to manage your study related needs that may be affected by the impact of your mental health condition. The support our mentors offers is focused on developing study skills in the following areas:

  • procrastination
  • perfectionism
  • motivation
  • concentration
  • independent learning.

Other specialist services

If you are not eligible for DSA but require other specialist services such as British Sign Language (BSL), then we will support with the funding and access to these services.

Your Disability Adviser may also recommend services that are not funded by DSA. If this happens, the University will cover the cost of this support for you.

If you have been recommended services with external providers, then you will need to liaise with the provider directly. If you have any difficulties contacting the provider or arranging this provision, then please let us know as we can support you to make contact.

Contact us

Student Disability Service