Ewch i’r prif gynnwys

Accommodation for European Exchange students

Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.

There are a number of accommodation options available to you during your studies with us.

University residences

Full-year European Exchange students

Our Residences Office can guarantee an offer of a single occupancy place in University residences if you are a European Exchange student studying with us for a full academic year.

There are a number of University residences and student houses to choose from, offering catered, part-catered and self-catered residences. Around 70% of residences have their own study bedroom and bathroom.

Standard residences have bathroom facilities that are shared between four to eight people. Self-catered residences have communal kitchen areas.

Find out about choosing the right accommodation for you, including comparison guides, the costs involved, and how to book a room.

You can apply online for university accommodation as soon as you receive your student number.

Single-semester European Exchange students

Our Residences Office cannot guarantee European Exchange students a place in University residences if they are completing a placement in the autumn or spring semester only.

If you are a single-semester European Exchange student then you can still apply for a place in university accommodation, but it is advisable to also seek accommodation in the private landlord sector. We will send you further information regarding private accommodation once you have been accepted onto your exchange placement.

Autumn semester only

If you are arriving in September and will study with us for the Autumn semester only, it is highly unlikely that University Residences will be able to offer you a place in University accommodation.

This is due to the high number of students arriving in Cardiff at this time. University Residences will only be able to let you know if they are able to allocate you a place in late September.

There is therefore a possibility that University Residences may be able to offer you a place from the first week of October.

You can contact the Residences Office prior to your arrival in Cardiff to check availability by emailing residences@cardiff.ac.uk or calling +44 (0)29 2087 4849.

However, if you are unable to wait to hear about the possibility of a room in University accommodation, we strongly recommend that you look for private accommodation on arrival in Cardiff.

It is very difficult to find a house if you are not in Cardiff and we do not advise that you arrange long-term accommodation from overseas.

It is best to arrive in Cardiff before the start of your course and reserve a room in a hostel, local guesthouse or hotel while you look for a suitable, private accommodation. This can be expensive so you will need to ensure you have enough funds to support you at the start of your placement.

Spring semester only

If you are arriving in January and will study with us for the Spring semester only, it is more likely that a number of vacancies will become available in University accommodation, which can be offered to single-semester European Exchange students.

We cannot guarantee this accommodation, but if you would like to apply online, you will be contacted by the Residences Office in December regarding availability.

Further information about how to apply for accommodation online.

Private sector accommodation

There is a wide choice of private accommodation in Cardiff that is let by private landlords.

However, some landlords may be reluctant to offer short-term tenancy agreements so it is important to research what they can offer carefully and view any accommodation before signing any contracts.

You may also wish to seek other students looking for accommodation by posting a message on our Facebook page.

Accommodation for European Exchange placements can be sought out through external websites like Spare Room or student.com. However, please note that Cardiff University does not endorse or take responsibility for the content of these sites.

Useful contacts

Swyddfa Preswylfeydd

Canolfan Cyngor i Fyfyrwyr