10 week course
Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.
We intend to offer our 10-week Pre-sessional course on campus in Cardiff in summer 2021, using a blended learning approach. This will include live classes every day on the University campus, as well as live online sessions and self-study.
This course is for students with IELTS (Academic) for UKVI 6.5 (with all sub-scores at 5.5 or higher) who have a course entry requirement of IELTS 7.0.
Applicants who have Pearson Test of English Academic UKVI must have a minimum score of 62 overall with at least 51 in all sub-scores.
The 10 week course will run from 5 July to 10 September 2021.
The course will:
- develop your language and skills to prepare you for your academic course at Cardiff University
- include a full teaching programme and course materials which will cover the skills of academic reading, writing, listening and speaking. The course also features 'guided practice' materials which provide extra opportunities to develop key areas of academic language and skills. These are supplemented by self-study materials that you may wish to practise in your own time to check your understanding of different aspects of the course
- offer every student a rich classroom experience: you will be placed in a group of students for your lessons with our experienced and qualified tutors. We hope that you will enjoy working both individually and with the other students in your group as you develop your skills together
- provide tutorials with your teacher and individual feedback on your progress
- offer all students pastoral care from our approachable and caring team
- introduce you to academic life and provide professional guidance on academic issues and expectations.
|9:00-10:00||Face-to-face classes||Face-to-face classes||Face-to-face classes||Face-to-face classes||Face-to-face classes|
|10:00-11:00||Face-to-face classes||Face-to-face classes||Face-to-face classes||Face-to-face classes||Break|
|12:00-13:00||Break||Break||Break||Break||Live online classes|
|13:00-14:00||Live online classes||Live online classes||Live online classes||Live online classes||Free|
|14:00-15:00||Live online classes||Live online classes||Live online classes||Live online classes||Free|
Live classes, seminars and tutorials will be held between 9:00 and 15:00 UK time (British Summertime). This timetable is a sample for illustration: patterns will vary in order to help us to control the flow of students on campus as part of our safe, social-distancing measures.
This part of the course will focus on the ways we use the English language in an academic content. We will concentrate on the grammatical structures and vocabulary commonly used in presenting academic work, while improving confidence in communicating with, and responding to, the academic community.
Academic study skills are invaluable and we believe that all university students would benefit from this course. In this part of the course, you will learn and practise the core skills needed to complete your chosen degree programme.
They include skills such as note-taking, summarising, text structure, referencing, data analysis, understanding lectures, making presentations and participating in seminars and tutorials.
All students will be familiarised with University resources provided to students enrolled on academic programmes of study and with the conventions and expectations for the presentation of academic work.
The course fee for 2021 entry is £3,700.
Our intention to offer this course on campus in Cardiff from June 2021, as described above, may need to change in response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and any legislation, regulation or government guidance that applies at the relevant time. Any such changes will be made in accordance with the University’s Terms and Conditions of Offer and you will be notified of any changes required as soon as possible.
Ensuring the safety and welfare of our students and staff is our priority. Find out about the protective measures we have put in place to ensure your time with us is safe and enjoyable.