Welsh Economy Research Unit
We aim to be the primary source of high quality, academically relevant research on the Welsh Economy for Welsh businesses, public and third sectors.
Welsh Economy Research Unit
We provide expertise on the Welsh economy and regional economics analysis within Cardiff Business School. We also assist School staff who are undertaking research on the regional economy.
Superfast Broadband Project
We are undertaking research on the economic benefits associated with the take-up of superfast, broadband-enabled technologies by businesses in Wales. Our research will help maximise take-up and exploitation of superfast broadband-enabled services as well as assess the economic impact of these services.
For more information, please take a look at the Superfast Broadband Project website.
Welsh Economic Review
The Unit produces, administers and publishes the Welsh Economic Review, which is now in its 28th year. The Welsh Economic Review provides commentary and analysis of the Welsh economy in a manner that promotes understanding and informs decision-making and is a vehicle to engage with the Welsh business and academic community.
Volume 24, Spring 2016, of the Welsh Economic Review on Economic Policy for Peripheral Economies, has been published by Cardiff University Press.
Back copies of the Welsh Economic Review are currently being migrated to the Cardiff University Press site.
Some members of WERU also contribute to the following:
- Crawley, A. , Beynon, M. J. and Munday, M. C. R. 2013. Making Location Quotients more relevant as a policy aid in regional spatial analysis. Urban Studies 50 (9), pp.1854-1869. (10.1177/0042098012466601)
- Groves, C. R. , Munday, M. C. R. and Yakovleva, N. 2013. Fighting the pipe: neoliberal governance and barriers to effective community participation in energy infrastructure planning. Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy 31 (2), pp.340-356. (10.1068/c11331r)
- Jensen, C. D. et al., 2013. Responsibility for regional waste generation: A single-region extended input-output analysis for Wales. Regional Studies 47 (6), pp.913-933. (10.1080/00343404.2011.599797)
- Collins, A. J. , Munday, M. C. R. and Roberts, A. 2012. Environmental Consequences of Tourism Consumption at Major Events: An Analysis of the UK Stages of the 2007 Tour de France. Journal of Travel Research 51 (5), pp.577-590. (10.1177/0047287511434113)
- Crawley, A. and Pickernell, D. 2012. An appraisal of the European Cluster Observatory. European Urban and Regional Studies 19 (2), pp.207-2011. (10.1177/0969776411427328)
- Bryan, J. , Munday, M. C. R. and Bevins, R. E. 2012. Developing a framework for assessing the socioeconomic impacts of museums: the regional value of the 'flexible museum'. Urban Studies 49 (1), pp.133-151. (10.1177/0042098010396242)
- Jones, C. 2012. Events and festivals: fit for the future?. Event Management 16 (2), pp.107-118. (10.3727/152599512X13343565268258)
- Jones, C. 2012. Festivals and events in emergent economies: a sea change, and for whom?. International Journal of Event and Festival Management 3 (1), pp.9-11. (10.1108/17582951211210906)
- Munday, M. C. R. , Bristow, G. I. and Cowell, R. J. W. 2011. Wind farms in rural areas: How far do community benefits from wind farms represent a local economic development opportunity?. Journal of Rural Studies 27 (1), pp.1-12. (10.1016/j.jrurstud.2010.08.003)
- Cowell, R. J. W. , Bristow, G. I. and Munday, M. C. R. 2011. Acceptance, acceptability and environmental justice: the role of community benefits in wind energy development. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management 54 (4), pp.539-557. (10.1080/09640568.2010.521047)
- Crawley, A. and Hill, S. 2011. Is industrial agglomeration increasing? New evidence from a small open economy. Journal of Economic Studies 38 (6), pp.725-740. (10.1108/01443581111177411)
- Turner, K. et al., 2011. Incorporating jurisdiction issues into regional carbon accounts under production and consumption accounting principles. Environment and Planning A 43 (3), pp.722-741. (10.1068/a43234)
- Bryan, J. and Roche, N. 2010. Wales in 2010: recession or recovery?. In: Chaney, P. , Royles, E. and Thompson, A. eds. Contemporary Wales: an annual review of economic political and social research. Vol. 23, Cardiff: University of Wales Press. , pp.161-191.
Senior Research Fellow, Welsh Economy Research Unit
- +44 (0)29 2087 6928
Research Associate, Welsh Economy Research Unit
- +44 (0)29 2087 6648