At Cardiff University, we believe in the power of education to transform lives, and believe that socio-economic deprivation, low participation rates in university education, educational disadvantage, and education disruption should not be barriers to students achieving their full academic potential and gaining access to meaningful and fulfilling careers.
Our vision is two-fold:
- That all students regardless of their background or personal experience, are inspired to consider higher education as an achievable option, and can study, succeed and thrive at Cardiff University and beyond. This vision is founded on our values and commitment to supporting and celebrating diversity and creating an open and inclusive community and putting students at the heart of what we do.
That widening participation students because of their background, skills and personal experiences and an education at Cardiff University flourish and develop to become our professionals of tomorrow and future leaders of society.
Our Widening Participation strategy elaborates on our aims in The Way Forward 2018-23, to be a world-leading, research-excellent, educationally-outstanding university, driven by creativity and curiosity, which fulfils its social, cultural, and economic obligations to Cardiff, Wales, the UK and the world. It brings together all our commitments in sub-strategies of The Way Forward, Education and Students Sub-Strategy, our Strategic Equality Plan and the Welsh Language Strategy (subject to approval in 2020-21) which relate to widening participation. In addition, our annual Fee and Access Plan will align to this strategy.
Our Widening Participation strategy has four main aims:
- To engage and inspire people of all generations to consider higher education as a realistic and achievable option.
- To attract and recruit students with academic potential, regardless of background or personal experience.
- To enable successful transition to University and foster an excellent and supportive student experience.
- To nurture and encourage confident and successful futures for all.