Explore the rich history of English Literature.
Studying at Cardiff University gives you the opportunity to encounter English literature in all its diversity, from the Anglo-Saxon period right up to the twenty-first century.
After the foundational Year One, there are no compulsory modules. We give you the chance to frame your own pathway through the degree, together with the advice you need to make informed choices.
Our curriculum takes in areas as varied as Romantic poetry, children's literature, gothic fiction, critical theory, crime fiction and Shakespeare, and we study texts from across the world, from a variety of perspectives.
There is also the opportunity in Years 2 and 3 to study the complementary discipline of Creative Writing.
Your studies will not be restricted to the printed word: our teaching reflects the intriguing connections between literature and film, art, music, history, language and popular culture.
Single honours degrees
Joint honours programmes
- BA English Literature and Ancient History
- BA English Literature and Archaeology
- BA English Literature and French
- BA English Literature and German
- BA English Literature and History
- BA English Literature and Italian
- BA English Literature, Journalism and Media
- BA English Literature and Music
- BA English Literature and Philosophy
- BA English Literature and Religious Studies
- BA English Literature and Spanish
- BA English Literature and Welsh
Your future in mind
English Literature graduates have excellent analytical and communication skills that equip them for a range of professions and further training. Their cultural knowledge and conceptual smartness are valued in the public and private sectors, and in contexts as varied as the classroom, the law courts and the media.