Skip to main content

Apply for European Exchange

If you wish to come and study with us as a European Exchange student, there must be an Inter-Institutional Agreement between your home institution and Cardiff University.

Application process

If you are coming to Cardiff as a traineeship student, we may not need to set up an agreement. Your Exchange Coordinator at your University will need to contact us directly to discuss this.

  1. You will need to check with the Exchange office at your home university that there is a valid agreement with Cardiff University in the subject you are studying. If there is no agreement in place, it may be possible to set one up. The Exchange Coordinator at your home university should contact us directly to discuss this.
  2. Once an agreement is in place, the Exchange office at your home university must send a nomination email to the Coordinator within the relevant academic school at Cardiff University. The nomination email should contain your name, email address, which academic School you will study with, and when you would like to come to Cardiff University (e.g. Autumn term/Spring term/full academic year). Make sure to check Cardiff University's term dates before submitting this nomination email.
  3. If your nomination is successful, you will be sent a link via email to an online application form. You must complete the application form prior to the start of your placement. Once you have submitted your online application form, the academic school at Cardiff University will send you an ‘offer’ of study by email. If you are happy with the conditions of the offer you receive, you should accept it as soon as possible.
  4. Once you have accepted your offer, you will be emailed further information about your application, including your Cardiff University student number, information about accommodation for European Exchange students, details of online enrolment, and information about selecting modules.

Online enrolment should be completed prior to your arrival and you should receive instructions via email about how to complete this three weeks prior to the start date of your programme.

English language requirements

Please be aware that you will be required to study or work through the medium of English and therefore your level of English will need to be sufficient enough to manage your workload effectively.

Whilst you are not required to complete a formal English test, as part of the application process incoming European Exchange students will be required to supply a copy of their year 1 transcript as evidence of their level of English. This should be uploaded to your application or can be provided post-offer.

Applying for a visa

If you are studying with us through a European Exchange programme, it is likely that you will need a visa to undertake your exchange. The visa options will differ depending on the duration of your exchange.

All students accepted to study will receive comprehensive visa guidance and can contact our International Student Support team for specific enquiries.

Further information about visa and immigration requirements.

Studying as an occasional student

If an Inter-Institutional Agreement does not exist and your university does not wish to create one, then it may possible to study at Cardiff University as an occasional student.

This means that you may be liable to pay fees but, if accepted, will have the same module choices as UK students.

For more information about this method of study, please contact us.