Student Futures can provide employability advice for international students wanting to stay in the UK after finishing university.
Tips on job searching in the UK
We've put together a list of reminders for students looking to find employment in the UK. You should:
- start job searching early - applications tend to open in August/September and close in November/December
- take a targeted approach when searching for a job
- use websites like Bright Network to access useful lists for internships, graduate roles, and different sectors
- take time to research employers that are licensed sponsors
- tailor applications to each specific role
- network and engage in employer events
- follow Cardiff University Alumni on LinkedIn and Cardiff Connected for the latest on networking opportunities
- contact Student Futures’ if you need help boosting your employability
The table below shows key months for job applications and recruitment support provided by Student Futures.
|August - October||Applications open|
|November - January||Applications close|
|December - April||Psychometric tests, video interviews, and assessment centres are completed|
The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website provides excellent information and advice on visas, immigration, fees and money, working, preparation, studying and living in the UK, as well as and support available for EU, EEA and Swiss students.
Student Visa Support primarily offer advice and guidance on student immigration matters to current students and their dependants. They can provide limited advice on work-based immigration routes as well as immigration advice for EEA and Swiss nationals.
Student Futures also run panel events throughout the academic year to provide students with the latest advice and guidance.
Support from Student Futures
Student Futures can support you with your employability and prepare you for the future.
The team can offer students a careers appointment at the start of their course to get advice on job searching, tailoring a CV and application, practicing psychometric tests, and mock interviews.
International students can access employability advice through Student Futures' online resources.