Skip to content

Private sector

external student houses

The information on this page is provided for the convenience of students seeking accommodation in the private sector. Inclusion of a landlord/letting agency on this page does not constitute an endorsement by Cardiff University.

Cardiff Student Letting

Cardiff Student Letting is a letting agency owned and run by Cardiff University Students' Union. It is committed to ensuring that students find quality housing owned by reputable landlords. The agency is conveniently located in the ground floor mall of the Students’ Union building, where students can register their details and receive email alerts of all new properties that match their requirements. Cardiff Student Letting does not charge agency fees.

Further advice

  • Cardiff University Student Support Centre offers a series of resources with advice on the various options of accommodation in Cardiff.
  • Cardiff University Students’ Union Student Advice provides guidance on all housing issues whether it's helpful hints as you go house hunting, advice on your tenant rights and responsibilities or a council tax bill.
  • Cardiff Digs offers information, advice and support on accessing private rented accommodation, living out in the community and a one-stop-shop resource for student matters.

Things to remember

  • There is plenty of private sector accommodation available – don’t rush.
  • Average rent for a single room in a shared house is approx £70-£90 per week.
  • Budget for utilities (e.g. gas, electric, water) unless your tenancy agreement states that these are included.
  • Cathays and Roath are popular areas with students.
  • Check the property has adequate security ie window and door locks, and also that sufficient fire precautions have been considered.
  • Confirm what facilities are available in the property, including whether you require a permit if parking is available.
  • If all residents within a dwelling are full-time students, you should be exempt from paying Council Tax.
  • If a landlord has rented the property listed but offers you another property, check with your accommodation services to establish whether any safety certificates such as gas and electric have been presented for this property. Houses you are offered that are not on the list have not given evidence of appropriate safety certificates and are potentially unsuitable.