Get help finding quality housing in Cardiff, owned by reputable landlords.
If you need advice on moving into private accommodation, the Students’ Union provides guidance on all housing issues whether it's helpful hints as you go house hunting, advice on your tenant rights and responsibilities or a council tax bill.
Cardiff Student Letting
Cardiff Student Letting is a letting agency owned and run by Cardiff University Students' Union. They are committed to ensuring that students find quality housing owned by reputable landlords and do not charge agency fees.
Located in the ground floor mall of the Students’ Union building, students can register their details and receive email alerts of all new properties that match their requirements.
Postgraduates can join our house hunting event each August. This event is an excellent opportunity to come to Cardiff, explore the city, and meet other postgraduates about to start their studies. The focus of the event is for everyone to meet each other and secure accommodation for the new academic year with like-minded people with the help of Cardiff Student Letting.
House hunting tips
When looking for private accommodation, remember:
- there is plenty of private sector accommodation available – don’t rush
- average rent for a single room in a shared house is approx £70-£90 per week
- budget for utilities (eg gas, electric, water) unless your tenancy agreement states that these are included.
- Cathays and Roath are popular areas with students
- check the property has adequate security (i.e. window and door locks), and also that sufficient fire precautions have been considered.
- confirm what facilities are available in the property, including whether you require a permit if parking is available
- if all residents within a dwelling are full-time students, you should be exempt from paying council tax
- if a landlord has rented the property listed but offers you another property, check with your accommodation services to establish whether any safety certificates such as gas and electric have been presented for this property
- houses that are not on the property list have not given evidence of appropriate safety certificates and are potentially unsuitable.
The information on this page is provided for the convenience of students seeking accommodation in the private sector. Inclusion of a landlord/letting agency on this page does not constitute an endorsement by Cardiff University.