Culture, interaction and everyday life
Exploring social and cultural experiences and their impact on everyday life.
Drawing on Cardiff’s 40-year history of ethnographic innovation, our research explores how space and place, the cultural, the material, and the psychosocial interact and are socially organised within past, contemporary and future societies.
Studies have focused on topics such as:
- the experiences and mobilities of young people
- studies of skilled practice (including opera singing and Capoeira)
- homelessness and outreach work
- museums and science education centres
- unemployment in post-industrial communities
- digital and social media
- civil society.
We have contributed to key developments in ethnography, visual, mobile, and multimodal methodologies, and the analysis of material culture, discourse and talk-in-interaction.
Related centres and groups
- Cardiff Ethnomethodology Ethnography Interaction and Talk
- Ethnography, Culture and Interpretive Analysis group
- Knowledge, Expertise and Science
- Wales Institute of Social and Economic Research, Data and Methods (WISERD)