We are committed to supporting Open Access research.
Open Access publications are openly available research outputs, free to read and use, from a variety of different online sources.
Discover our Open Access publications
Explore our institutional repository, ORCA - home to thousands of Open Access journal articles, book chapters and conference papers produced by our staff and students, as well as our collection of PhD theses.
In addition to publications authored by our staff and students, there are many online resources that will direct you to more scholarly Open Access publications.
If you have already identified an article or book that you cannot easily access, there may be Open Access alternatives available online.
Look out for the Open Access ‘open lock’ symbol and use advanced search where possible to ensure you’re searching for full text, Open Access research only.
Open Access for our researchers
We support researchers by:
- conducting workshops and provide Open Access advocacy
- providing advice on funder and post-REF Open Access requirements
- liaising with researchers and publishers for the payment of Gold Open Access fees from central funds
- encouraging deposit of research materials into the institutional repository, ORCA
- checking and report Open Access compliance to funders (RCUK/Wellcome/COAF)
- promoting the use of Cardiff University Press as a Diamond Open Access initiative
- working collaboratively with other institutions and organisations to progress the Open Access agenda in the UK (such as off-setting to bring down the 'total cost of publication').
In addition to the paid resources available through LibrarySearch, Open Access allows you to read the full text of thousands more publications. If you have already identified an article or book that you cannot easily access through your university, there may be Open Access alternatives available online.
We provide support for researchers on Green, Gold, and Diamond routes to Open Access, and the wider Open Access agenda in UK Higher Education. We're also involved in a variety of projects with both internal and external organisations.
For more information on the services and support we offer to researchers, please contact the team:
Open Access team
- Telephone:+44 (0)29 2087 0965
- Telephone:+44 29225 10188
31 October 2017
Policy governing Cardiff University staff and student research publications, including the institution’s approach to Open Access.